Re: SF Gate: No-frills, low-cost airlines are fast gaining ground/'Regular' a...

Dennis,
I pay for my own ticket even though I have been commuting on and off
bi-coastaly
for almost 3 years. There are different reasons why I chose United. One of
them is
their Econ Plus product. It helps me a lot.

Yes, I haven't been a fan of their $800 r/t PHL-SEA fares over the summer
but I even
went to extra mile to take the Amtrak to EWR and fly them from Newark.

The factor of multiple hubs helps big time when you are trying to get home
and you
know they can take you home through a different hub.

I would rather pay $50 to $100 more and know where I am sitting instead of
paying
less and get the middle seat on a 737 that has breadcrums on it.

My fares, as they are book by yours truely are not full coach fares. If I
get to upgrade
to F is because either CS bumped me up as they wanted to free up some space
in coach,
or I had some e-certificates that United gives them for free.

I use milage to upgrade in international segments or if I have to take an
assignment
in a really short notice.

I haven't been on AA for at least 7 years. I was thinking about their more
room through
the coach thing for a while but then it occurred to me that connecting
through DFW
was not an option for me if ORD went down.

As I said , United has many more alternatives.

BAHA
Fan of airline travel despite the nasty stuff that comes with it.