Nashville's airfare ad is fair, says spokeswoman, and will air again

Nashville's airfare ad is fair, says spokeswoman, and will air again
By CYNTHIA YELDELL, yeldellc@xxxxxxxxx
June 20, 2003

Nashville International Airport officials say an advertisement running in
Knoxville to encourage travelers to fly from Nashville was not meant to
slam McGhee Tyson Airport.  Nashville International Airport spokeswoman
Allison McAfee said the $54,000 campaign launched June 2 in Nashville,
Knoxville, Chattanooga, Jackson and southern Kentucky simply aimed to
promote Nashville. The campaign includes two billboards on Interstate 40 in
Knoxville and a radio spot in which travelers are told that Nashville has
the lowest average fares in the Southeast.  McAfee said the original radio
ad said Nashville's airport "takes security seriously," but that phrase was
removed when a competing airport objected.  "It was meant to reassure
people that it's safe to fly," she said, not to imply other airports were
unsafe. The Nashville radio campaign will end this week but run again
beginning in mid-July.

During its regular board meeting Wednesday, McGhee Tyson Airport officials
voted to spend about $104,000 to launch a campaign in the Knoxville
area.  Dave Conklin, McGhee Tyson's marketing director, said Knoxville's
campaign is not just a response to Nashville. "We have our own story to
tell."  The Knoxville ads are expected to begin running in July and will
stress the convenience of flying from Knoxville and the cost savings for
customers who book flights in advance.  Danni Varlan, coordinator of East
Tennesseans for Airfare Competition, the group formed to bring a low-fare
carrier to Knoxville, said despite the deletion of the security reference,
Nashville's ads still aren't in the best interest of the state's economy
because they introduce regional competition.  "It's inappropriate for them
to come into our market or any other market in the state," she said. "It's
bad for the economy."

McAfee said events that have affected the airline industry over the last
several years such as Sept. 11, 2001, war in Iraq and the SARS scare have
forced airports to re-evaluate the way they do business.  "We will continue
to evaluate the Knoxville market and the air service we will be able to
provide that market, and if we feel we have a competitive advantage, we
will continue to try and drive traffic to Nashville," McAfee said.  An
April survey of Nashville International's parking lot found between 150 and
200 cars with Knox County tags, McAfee said.  An October 2002 survey of the
lot found 429 Knox County tags.  An ETAC survey estimates that Knoxville
loses about 500 passengers a day to Nashville.  Passenger travel at McGhee
Tyson rose 19 percent in May compared to April but fell 3 percent from May
2002. Passenger travel at Nashville International rose 13 percent in May
compared to April, but is down 2 percent from May 2002.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/