Re: Last flight AF Concorde MPEG video today...

I think I can successfully answer both.

Concorde departs out of JFK on their only super-long runway (one of the
longest in the world) to minimize fuel consumption. As for the
altitude, the Concorde, like a heavily loaded A340 doesn't exactly have
scorching lift characteristics, especially fully loaded with fuel &
pax, and about to run near to it's range limit. There could of been
other reasons though.

The bank is to avoid the arrival flight path for either of La Guardia's
runways. Even the LGA arrivals to the west (from say DCA) travel
straight over Brooklyn and join the arrival path about 10 miles to the
east-southeast of LGA with a hard 100 degree turn to the left.

As for noise abatement, I think you could bury the Concorde 100 ft
underground and it still wouldn't past noise-abatement muster. ;-)

Matthew

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 01:33  PM, Liam Tully wrote:

> Me too! And why did it remain so low?
>
> Great stuff Carlos - I love it. Have played
> it about 400 times (loud) so far....
>
> Liam.
> YVR.

>>> Regards,