Northeast service from MIA to LAX (was Re: Sports Charters (was Whose 727?))

I evidently missed the sports charter intention in the sentence that said the
727 could fly anywhere in the USA to anywhere in the USA non-stop (I presume
they're not counting Alaska and Hawaii).

While Northeast may have used the longer-range B727-100 series they still had
to make numerous fuel stops enroute to the West Coast due to the jet stream.
However, I don't believe Northeast ever served the market from Ft. Lauderdale
as you state.  Northeast existed during the days of CAB regulation and the
CAB awarded the southern transcontinental non-stop route authority from MIA to
California on September 23, 1969.  MIA means MIA, not FLL, as the CAB was very
specific in their regulations.

While Northeast timetables may say "Ft. Lauderdale/Miami" the service was
operated from MIA.  Back in those days there was very little service to FLL
relatively speaking and most of the airlines used "Ft. Lauderdale/Miami" in their
timetables, with a "M" for Miami and a "F" in the actual flight schedules to
distinguish where the flight actually arrived and departed.  The last CAB route
book that I have doesn't show any authorized routes from FLL to California and
it would be extremely odd for an authorized route to disappear once awarded.
I don't believe FLL ever had any scheduled non-stop service to California
until the 90's.

Jose Prize
Fan of accuracy