Staffhire shafting BWIA employees ? union head

Staffhire shafting BWIA employees =97 union head
BY JUHEL BROWNE
06.08.03

Staffhire, the UK based firm contracted by BWIA to carry out maintenance=20
services on its aircraft, has been charging the airline thousands of US=20
dollars while paying less than a third of those earnings to its employees,=
=20
said Christopher Abraham, president of the Aviation Communication and=20
Allied Workers Union. Staffhire was contracted by BWIA as part of its plans=
=20
to reduce its operating expenses by outsourcing its maintenance operations.=
=20
This was a part of the airline management=92s New Business Model 2003,=20
launched in January. Abraham said he was in possession of the contract BWIA=
=20
signed with Staffhire. He asserted it showed the airline has not been=20
saving any money in its maintenance costs. =93BWIA=92s paying Staffhire=20
employees US$27 an hour for maintenance work on their aircraft,=94 said=20
Abraham. =93One man is making a ton-load of money because he is paying the=
=20
employees TT$50, while he is making US$27 =97 the owner of Staffhire,=94 he=
=20
said. Staffhire is said to be run by a Trinidadian who grew up in England.=
=20
He also owns the Staffhire Records label which planned to release a=20
collection of songs by local performer Chris Garcia, meant for the=20
international market.

Abraham said the company was also charging the following hourly rates for=20
the services rendered by its employees:
=95US$29 a hour for aircraft third party maintenance,
=95 US$85 for room and board when the company brings in an employee from=
 abroad,
=95US$40 in transportation costs for each employee.

He then added the local Staffhire employees were still receiving TT$50 an=20
hour. Abraham said the Staffhire contract has exponentially increased=20
BWIA=92s operating costs. Contacted Thursday night, a BWIA official said=20
Abraham=92s allegations concerning the Staffhire contract were inaccurate.=
=20
=93The whole point of outsourcing is that we couldn=92t justify maintaining=
 the=20
number of (maintenance) staff year round for the reduced work that we have.=
=20
When we pay Staffhire, we pay specially for the work done, rather than=20
maintaining that same number of employees for months on end to do the same=
=20
amount of work,=94 the official said. Staffhire officials could not be=20
contacted up to press time.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/