Pilots sue Mesaba Airlines over contract talks

Pilots sue Mesaba Airlines over contract talks

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) =97 Pilots are suing Mesaba Airlines for failing to bargain=
=20
in good faith in violation of the Railway Labor Act, which governs=20
collective bargaining in the airline industry. The Air Line Pilots=20
Association's federal court lawsuit accuses Mesaba, a commuter affiliate of=
=20
Northwest Airlines, of engaging in practices over two years of negotiations=
=20
that were designed to undermine and draw out the bargaining process. he=20
Mesaba pilots' ALPA unit, said management has continuously stalled, created=
=20
unnecessary obstacles and thwarted progress at the bargaining table. The=20
union said Mesaba has failed to respond to ALPA proposals or offer timely=20
proposals of its own, has taken erratic and inconsistent bargaining=20
positions and has offered substandard and regressive bargaining proposals.=
=20
Mesaba, in a prepared statement Tuesday, denied the allegations. "We have=20
conducted good faith negotiations at every step of the process against the=
=20
backdrop of the most difficult period in the industry's history. Our=20
negotiations have been lengthy and complex, as is generally the case in our=
=20
industry, and both sides have represented themselves vigorously," the=20
Minneapolis-based carrier said.

The union also alleges that management has tried to subvert ALPA's=20
representational rights by circumventing ALPA and calling on individual=20
pilots to meet with managers to discuss contract negotiations. "We've=20
demonstrated our professionalism both as airline pilots and union members=20
throughout these protracted negotiations, and we are committed to attaining=
=20
a new contract that reflects our considerable contributions to the success=
=20
of our airline," Wychor said. Mesaba Pilots have been working under a=20
seven-year concessionary contract which was signed in 1996 and gave the=20
airline the flexibility it needed to grow and prosper, Wychor said. Mesaba=
=20
remains in a healthy financial position, he said. The company reported net=
=20
earnings of $4.3 million for the last fiscal year, which ended March 31,=20
2003. Mesaba, one of the largest regional carriers in the United States,=20
operates connecting flights for Northwest Airlines, serving 106 cities as a=
=20
Northwest Airlink partner.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/