Ryanair profits up 59%, aims for more growth

Ryanair profits up 59%, aims for more growth

DUBLIN (Reuters) =97 European no-frills airline Ryanair reported a 59% jump=
=20
in net profits on Tuesday but its shares fell sharply as it fired the first=
=20
shot in a new fares war and said profit growth this year could fall to 10%.=
=20
"Our aim is not to kill anyone (of our competitors) but it is to grow=20
aggressively. We're going to destroy the airline business as we know it,"=20
Chief Executive Officer Michael O'Leary told Reuters as he initiated more=20
fare-cutting to spur growth, starting with an offer of a million one-way=20
tickets for 19.99 to 29.99 British pounds apiece. O'Leary said he expected=
=20
the carrier, closely modelled on U.S. no-frills pioneer Southwest, to grow=
=20
passenger volumes by 50% this year to 24 million. As a result Ryanair would=
=20
rival Air France on traffic volumes and would soon overtake number one=20
Lufthansa and number two British Airways as Europe's biggest scheduled=20
international carrier. But O'Leary warned in London that Ryanair's profit=20
growth would dip sharply after the rise last year, when analysts said=20
Ryanair had a very profitable summer.

O'Leary said the aim was for net profit growth of 20% for the year to=20
end-March 2004, up from 239.4 million euros last year, but with the=20
weakness of the British pound against the euro "it will be somewhere in the=
=20
region of 10%." "I think a lot of people were in the 15 to 20% growth=20
range; we're now talking closer to 10," said analyst Shane Matthews at NCB=
=20
Stockbrokers in Dublin. "In general terms it's disappointing although the=20
reality is that they are still going to give you positive earnings growth."=
=20
The efficiencies of the young low-cost airlines like Ryanair and easyJet=20
are the envy of traditional airlines saddled with old-fashioned cost=20
structures and suffering from poor demand for full-service air travel due=20
to weak economies and the impact of the SARS virus. But O'Leary warned that=
=20
Ryanair could not be expected to replicate the sizzling growth of the past=
=20
fiscal year ended March 31, which translated into net margins of 28%. "We=20
have repeatedly stated that profit margins of almost 30% are a one-off and=
=20
non-sustainable." He said the company hoped realistically to grow traffic=20
at about 25% annually and to maintain profit margins, after taxes, at about=
=20
20%.

"I personally expect no near-term improvement in either the low-fare=20
environment or the strength of the euro, and believe therefore that=20
(average fare) yields for the year will continue to be 10 to 15% lower than=
=20
last year," O'Leary added. Analysts said they had expected the company to=20
announce some erosion in average fare yields for the year ahead, but also=20
said Ryanair typically has been cautious in its predictions. "In the short=
=20
term the note is cautious but it's a super company and the long-term=20
business model is very much intact," said analyst John Mattimoe at Merrion=
=20
Capital in Dublin. O'Leary said he was confident of carrying more than 30=20
million international scheduled passengers within three years, at which=20
point Ryanair would overtake Lufthansa and British Airways as the biggest=20
international carrier in Europe. Ryanair is already the world's third=20
biggest passenger airline by share value with a market capitalisation of=20
some five billion dollars. It traditionally does not pay dividends and=20
stuck to that policy for the fiscal year just ended.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/