Canadian Transportation Agency Disallows Montreal-Beirut Non-stop Service, Air Canada Offers Customers Alternate Routings

Canadian Transportation Agency Disallows Montreal-Beirut Non-stop Service,=
=20
Air Canada Offers Customers Alternate Routings

     MONTREAL, June 2 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada has received written
notification from the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) that the carrier
will no longer be permitted to operate non-stop flights between Montr=E9al=
 and
Beirut. Citing "reasons of national security," the federal government=
 directed
the CTA to suspend the license which it had granted Air Canada on March 28,
2003. Air Canada's planned non-stop service, the only non-stop service=
 between
North America and Lebanon, was scheduled to begin operation Tuesday
June 3, 2003 departing Montr=E9al. The first scheduled departure from Beirut=
 was
scheduled for Thursday June 5. Air Canada is contacting its customers to=
 offer
alternate travel arrangements.
     "We are disappointed with this surprise decision by the federal
government that prevents us from operating non-stop service between Beirut=
 and
Montr=E9al," said Bill Bredt, Vice President, Network and Revenue=
 Management.
"Since we first announced our new Beirut service in March, response has been
very positive from customers and travel partners in both Canada and Lebanon.
Clearly, the Lebanese communities, especially in Montreal as well as=
 elsewhere
in North America will share our disappointment."
     "Since learning of the government's intention over the course of the=
 past
48 hours, our priority has been focused on finding a solution for our
customers to minimize the inconvenience that this decision has caused.
Together with our Star Alliance partners we will offer a solution that will
extend over the course of the planned summer service. We have begun
immediately to contact our customers who have been affected in order to=
 offer
alternate travel options. Our number one objective is to minimize
inconvenience in the short term and meet the needs of our customers as best=
 as
possible under the circumstances."
     Air Canada first announced plans on March 7, 2003 to operate non-stop
service three times weekly during the peak summer travel season, June=
 through
October, between Montr=E9al and Beirut. Alternately, Air Canada is proposing
routings to customers via its European gateway cities, Frankfurt and Vienna,
in conjunction with its Star Alliance partners Lufthansa and Austrian
Airlines. Although scheduling details for the duration of the summer season
have not been finalized, they will be communicated to customers and travel
agents as soon as they become available.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/