Air Canada and travellers say it's business as usual; trading of stock halted

DAVID PADDON   Canadian Press  Friday, May 30, 2003

TORONTO (CP) - With an Ontario court expected to hear Friday afternoon
whether Air Canada and its pilots have reached a critical cost-cutting
deal, the Toronto Stock Exchange halted trading of the airline's
shares.  The company insisted it was business as usual, and travellers and
travel agencies seemed to retain faith that the airline will resolve its
labour problems and survive its financial troubles.  "Surprisingly, we've
had very little concern," Lesley Paull, owner of Paull Travel in Edmonton,
said Friday.  "I believe that everybody almost feels that somehow this is
going to be rectified, including me," Paull said.  "We all know we need Air
Canada, and it's got to be resolved somehow."  The TSX halted trading of
Air Canada stock early Friday afternoon. Trading halts are common when a
company is expected to release important news that may affect the value of
shares.

Air Canada shares (TSX:AC) last traded at $1.67, down eight cents with more
than five million shares exchanged Friday.  An Air Canada spokeswoman,
Laura Cooke, said she had not been advised an announcement was imminent but
noted Justice James Farley of Ontario Superior Court was due to receive an
update about 2:30 p.m. EDT.  IN the meantime, "it's business as usual,"
said another airline spokeswoman, Isabelle Arthur.  "It's very
understandable that customers are worried," she added.  But Arthur said "we
have reached agreements with all of our unions except for the pilots and
we're hopeful discussions will be successful and allow us to restructure
our labour cost as necessary."  Representatives of the pilots union,
meeting in secret in Toronto, could not be reached for comment.  Air Canada
has been losing an estimated $5 million a day since entering protection
from creditors April 1.

Air Canada lawyer Peter Osborne said the position of the airline's board,
which held an emergency meeting after the main pilot union failed to come
to a cost-cutting agreement, will be stated to the court at about 2:30
p.m.  A court-appointed monitor's report Thursday said the lack of a deal
with the pilots threatened to undermine tentative cost-reduction accords
with the company's eight other unions.  The monitor also said Air Canada
doesn't have enough cash to cover more than half of the financial
obligations it has amassed since obtaining court protection.  But the
airline refuses to tap debtor-in-possession financing it has arranged,
estimated to be worth $1 billion, "unless a labour-cost realignment is
achieved to halt such losses," the monitor's report said.  The 3,100-member
pilots union was said to have been asked to accept more than 800 job cuts,
a 15 per cent wage reduction and other concessions, to save Air Canada $250
million annually.

The pilots association is the only one of nine Air Canada unions not to
have reached a deal.  The monitor's report said the concessions of the
other unions and non-union employees, worth a total of $766 million a year,
could be undone if ACPA and Air Canada don't land an agreement with the
pilots.  While a lawyer for the pilots complained of an inequitable burden
in the proposed reductions, Octagon Capital airline analyst Jacques
Kavafian noted that they are the highest-paid labour group and "it's easier
if you make $175,000 a year to take a 20 per cent pay cut than if you make
$40,000."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/