Re: New US Airports

At 12:25 AM 5/23/2003 -0400, Tom Doherty wrote:
>STL

Nonsense; they just opened up Mid-America at the old Scott AFB. :-) :-) :-)

San Francisco is in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't," situation.
There's nowhere to put a new airport, and the international terminal is
still quite new, so they wouldn't want to abandon it, but their runway
configuration is notoriously bad. SJC is heavily constrained by the town
around it, and I don't think much of OAK, either. (OK, it's been years
since I've been to OAK.) The SF Bay Area needs one good airport, not three
mediocre ones, but that's not going to happen. No one talks about using
Moffett Field, so I assume it's not adequate for commercial traffic, even
if they build the infrastructure around it. There aren't many other sites
for airfields around the Bay.

There is, of course, the long-running Chicago expansion/replacement saga. I
think they're fairly firmly on the road to expanding O'Hare, not replacing
it, but then again, people thought they knew what was happening with Meigs
Field there, too.

Nick