Trip Report: YUL-ORD-YUL

Those of you who have been on this list for a while (I've been around for many years) will know that I used to travel extensively on business.  Since changing jobs last year my level of business travel has plummeted.  This week, however, I made my first business trip by air since May 2002.  Much shorter than my usual trips (YVR, SEL/ICN, AMS, etc), it was a good opportunity to see how both 9/11 and the new transborder terminal at YUL have affected travel.

Both ways were aboard an AA F100, in economy.  The new transborder extension at YUL did not impress me at departure, due to the very long walk to the most distant gate.  But at least it looks clean and new compared to the 60ish one it replaces.  We pushed more or less on time, but due to a cold front just passing through ORD (why is it that every time I fly through ORD there are delays due to a passing cold front???), we were forced to hold for 30 minutes near the deicing bay for our departure slot, with engines shut down to conserve fuel.  Other than that it was an uneventful flight, some bumps due to the passing front.

I've flown quite a bit on the F100;  my last time was on a Korean Air example from Kunsan to Seoul.  I must say the extra leg room that AA advertises in coach is very noticeable, and very welcome.  Clearly not false advertising!  Compared to Korean's examples, it was downright roomy!

Due to light headwinds, arrival at ORD was only 10 min. late.  I had no checked baggage but my colleague did.  Her bag was on the carousel already by the time we arrived at it, which struck me as VERY efficient.  Overall ORD was not too awful, even on the way out, with the enhanced security we seemed to be processed in a very efficient manner, much more so than the last time I passed through YVR.  But it's still a hassle. We've come a long way from the 60s when you could see your loved ones off at the gate...

The flight itself was the way flights should be:  on time, and smooth.  This time I had an exit row in the "DC9 facsimile" (F100), so I had even more legroom, more than business class on some airlines I've flown.

But where the trip flopped was arrival at the new transborder terminal.  The walk to customs was horribly long, the lines at customs horribly long and horribly slow.  On a 1.5 hour flight, it took no less than 45 min. to get through customs.  And I had no checked luggage.  The carousel area was still the old one, I understand new ones are on the plans, and I hope they are closer to the gates.  So far nothing beats YMX for speeding through customs.  Too bad some of the design features from that airport could not be incorporated.

Overall, I'm glad I no longer fly extensively on business.  Flying is simply too big a hassle.  Both flights were mealtime flights but the "meal" was a bag of pretzels and a coke.  This is not a healthy lifestyle...and airport food is not a great substitute for a healthy meal.

Mike Gammon