Re: AS Russia service

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 23:44 America/Anchorage, Alireza
Alivandivafa wrote:

> Whatever happened to Alaska Airline's service to the Russian Far East.
>  They
> used to run a milk run of sorts,
> SEA-ANC-Magadan-Yuzhno-Kamchakta-Vladivastok.
>  Whatever happened to that service, and did SU pick it up?

I worked for both AS and SU during times they each flew it. Neither do
now.

AS did Khabarovsk-Magadan-ANC-SEA, but getting rid of the 727-200s with
extended range tanks left just the MD-83, not a great plane for that
route length, operating environment, etc. But the real blow was the
loss of passengers. The adventure travel market of people seeking newly
opened places dried up pretty quickly. The oil business never took off.
The Russian economy all but collapsed and the tourism infrastructure
never developed. I think they did add Vladivostok after the USA opened
a consulate there, but that service didn't last too long, if I remember
right. Now AS has long-range 737-700s and 900s, but I think that's the
only thing to improve, the traffic isn't there and not likely to be
sufficient for some time.

Aeroflot and some Russian Far East subsidiaries/spin-off companies,
tried IL62s from Vladivostok, Khabarosk and Tu154s from Magadan and
Petropovlosk. Maybe UUS, but I don't think that lasted long. Some
Il-62s went beyond ANC to LAX, SFO or SEA, the Tu154 went beyond to
SEA. Aeroflot dropped the Moscow-ANC nonstop service when they got
long-range aircraft (Russian Il-96s -later replaced by Boeing 777) and
could serve SEA, SFO and LAX nonstop.

The only Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk service I remember on a long-lasting basis
was Reeve Aleutian. They did very well with their combi 727s, but they
shut their doors a couple years ago due to the overall airline economic
situation.

Mavial, or Magadan Airlines, has stopped the SEA scheduled stops, but
still flies to ANC weekly or bi-weekly (or tri- :-), depending on the
season. I think their aircraft also go via Petro, but I don't think
Yuzhno.

That's the "off-the-top-of-my-head" recollection. If you need better
details, I can dig up some.
Mike