Re: The continent's top airport?

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 01:43  PM, Alireza Alivandivafa wrote:

> Security, unless in T1 at peak WN times, is a breeze at LAX.  In
> addition,
> they whisk you through if your flight is imminent.

Sure, but wouldn't it be nicer not to have to do it again at all?  It's
still a pain to take your laptop out of it's case, take off your shoes,
etc.

The problem is really rather simple.  LAX is not designed as a hub for
connections.  Multiple small, independent terminals is great for O&D
traffic since it shouldn't take as long to get from ticket counter to
gate or gate to baggage claim.  On the other hand, when you have to go
from one to the other, it takes longer because you have an additional
time variable (reclear security) to factor in.

And my brother who was there last month just told me that the
inter-terminal connections for the south side are now closed.  He was
in terminal 5 flying Delta and the signs said closed; a friend of his
flying United out of 7 tried to meet up with someone else flying
Continental out of 6 (which United and Delta also use, or at least used
to) but could not get over there.

ATL, as previously mentioned, is a great hub airport.  You can go from
any gate to any other gate without reclearing security, including from
one airline to another.  On the other hand, for the O&D passenger, it
can be quite a journey from ticket counter to gate or gate to baggage
claim.  The T-gates passengers have it pretty good, but the
international E concourse is way out there.  Fortunately the subway
works great.

TSA, however, likely hates this, since a security "breach" means they
have to evacuate the whole airport.  Independent terminals make it
easier to handle an evacuation since much of the rest of the airport
can keep functioning.

As was recently discussed, however, the best locations for hub airports
also tend to be the biggest O&D markets, ie the success of ORD and DFW
versus the failure of RDU.

Alireza, please remember to include something of the post you're
replying too; Listserv is *not* threaded.  If AOL won't do it for you,
find something better. :)

--
David Mueller / HNL
dmueller7@xxxxxxxxx