Re: The 727

I drive a Honda Accord.  It's like my fridge for reliability. One
consistently keeps the beer cold, the other consistently gives me
trouble-free motoring.  Just about as sexy as my fridge too...

But I fly (or I will soon, just sold my Cherokee, new bird arrives in a
week), a Beechcraft Sundowner, but I salivate for a Baron, or at least a
Bonanza ;-)

That being said, the 727 was a fine bird for its time.  Look at how we
evolved:  in 1960, the Boeing 720, a true gas guzzler, basically had the
same capacity, and a similar mission, to a B727-200ADV.  The 727 must have
seemed like a true revolution to airlines at that time, 3/4 the fuel burn
for the same mission (at least the -200;  the -100 actually had about the
capacity and capability of...a B737-200ADV, another story of Darwin at work
in the airliner business).  Now the fuel burn is less than half with the
737NG and A320 series.  The head-end crew is 2/3 the size.

The 727's gig is up, but we should recognize it for what it is, a very
important milestone in aviation history.  But, not what some claim, the DC3
of the jet age, not even close.  I believe that award should go to the DC9,
still nominally in production 40 years on, and some examples well into their
30s still flying for mainline carriers (NW comes to mind, and until January
this year, AC).  Not even the DC3 can match that record...

The MD11 is unfortunately a dog that needed significant mods to meet its
performance promises, has a higher than average accident rate, is a bitch to
land, and basically is the mistakes (marketing and technical) of the DC10
expanded.  But it does look good though.

And then, for widebodies, there's the L1011, especially the -500.  My
favourite all-time widebody, well, maybe after the 747-400.

Mike Gammon