SF Gate: No. 2 carrier United Airlines restoring 162 cut flights next month

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/05/15/n=
ational1121EDT0578.DTL

Thursday, May 15, 2003 (AP)
No. 2 carrier United Airlines restoring 162 cut flights next month

   (05-15) 08:21 PDT CHICAGO (AP) --
   United Airlines announced Thursday it is restoring 162 daily flights next
month that had been cut from its April and May schedules due to a drop in
demand during the Iraq war.
   The nation's No. 2 carrier cited a recent improvement in bookings. It wi=
ll
operate 1,722 daily flights in June, up from 1,560 in May.
   The move is a sign of improving prospects for both United, which has been
restructuring in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and the battered airline industry.
   After putting new labor contracts into effect this month that will reduce
its annual expenses by more than $2.5 billion, United said it intends to
focus on ways to raise revenue. The Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based carrier
hopes to launch a low-fare carrier by early 2004.
   "As we prepare for the summer travel season, we have been encouraged by
the upturn in bookings that indicate a strong recovery in many of the
markets we serve," said Marty St. George, director of network planning for
United.

=20
Copyright 2003 AP