Trip report: EDI-CGN

Hi all,

Was off on a photo trip in the last 24 hours, courtesy of Germanwings, the
low cost offshoot of Eurowings.

14 May
4U373, D-AKNJ, A319

Germanwings started into Edinburgh at the start of the European summer
schedule, their website www.germanwings.com had been offering deals you
wouldn't believe. This is my first time with them, paying 13GBP (about US
$20) round trip, later in the year I'm going again for 2GBP (about $3 US)
round trip, all including taxes!!

The aircraft 'NJ is only a few months old, so was in pristine condition.
Fold down video screens take the place of cabin crew for the safety demo.
Leather seats in a Y142 configuration sounds a lot, but legroom was not a
problem. Being lo cost, snacks and drinks are available at a cost. Our
scheduled time was 1230 out of Edinburgh, to arrive 1535 at Koln/Bonn, the
Germans being an hour ahead. I'd heard GWI had allowed bags of time for late
departure within their schedules, this meant a 2hr 5 minute trip.

We pushed back on time at 1231, and were airborne to the southwest at 1239,
turning east over the eastern edge of Britain. We headed down the coast to
Hull, then out over the North Sea towards Amsterdam in Holland. We arrived
at CGN at 1510, and were at the gate at 1515. The stands at this airport
hark back to the 1960s and 1970s, because they are largely parking side on
to the terminal, although there are jetways meeting the aircraft. As a
consequence, the aircraft taxi extremely close to the buildings.

Koln has a free terrace, although its facing the right way for sun in the
afternoons, photos are through glass, albeit clean glass. The main operators
are Lufthansa Cityline, Lufthansa, Hapag Lloyd Express (another new low
cost), Deutsche BA, and GWI.

This airport is a hub for UPS in Europe, but there are not many accessible
views either during the day or at night when everything starts to happen.

I knew Dusseldorf was much busier, so after an hour I headed off.

Incidentally, if you ever rent a car in Germany, you usually get pretty good
quality. My girlfriend could not believe that in Florida they are still
dishing out Chevy Cavaliers, she thought they'd died long ago!!

I had asked for a compact wagon (US translation of midsize estate),
expecting a Ford Focus or a VW Golf wagon, but got an Audi A4 1.9TDI Avant,
which is a diesel. Now you may or may not know that Germany has large
stretches of highway with no speed limits. I managed 220 km/h, whatever that
is!

Off to Dusseldorf, an hour away, which was much better. The rail station has
probably the best viewing deck in Europe, an Embraer 145 is 150mm lens,
looking slightly down.  Amongst other things, I got shots of:

    D-ALAM    321    Aero Lloyd
    D-BHAT    D8B    Augsburg Airways
    D-AHFX    738    Hapag Lloyd in their new TUI livery
    D-IKBA    D28    LGW Air
    EC-GPS    SWM    Hahn AL
    I-EXMA    EM5    Alitalia Express
    LN-RCT    736    SAS
    OE-LFP    F70    Austrian
    OE-LCI    CRJ    Tyrolean
    OE-LFJ    F70    Tyrolean
    OH-LVE    319    Finnair
    OH-SAI    RJ8    Air Botnia (first one I've ever seen of theirs)
    OK-XGL    735    CSA (80th anniversary colors - a gem!!)
    SE-LIF    HS7    Westair Sweden
    SP-LGK    EM5    LOT
    V2-LFQ    L10    Caribjet Cargo
    Z3-ARF    733    Macedonian AL

Then, as I wanted to really make use of the car, another 220kph blat up the
highway into Belgium, to Liege, which is another cargo hub, mainly TNT. This
field is dead during the day, but lights up like a Christmas tree after
11pm. I got there at 1145. A recently built double wire fence prevents
photos, but there's no problem watching the action unfold. I noted between
1145pm and 0200am:

    B-2473    744    China Southern Cargo (brand new and very nice)
    EC-ELT    142    PNR (TNT colors)
    EC-HJH    142    TAY = TNT Airways
    EC-HQT    300    TAY
    EC-HVZ    300    TAY
    G-BPND    722    GCR = Cougar Cargo
    G-OKJN    722    GCR
    G-FIZU    LOF    AAG = Atlantic Airways (yes that is an Electra)
    G-LOFE    LOF    AAG
    N528MC    742    GTI
    N453PA    744    PAC
    OE-ILA    LOF    AMK = Amerer Air (and yes, another 2 Electras)
    OE-ILB    LOF    AMK
    OE-ILW    F27    AMK
    OO-TAA    143    TAY
    OO-TAF    143    TAY
    OO-TAH    143    TAY
    OO-TAJ    143    TAY
    OO-TAR    142    TAY
    OO-TAS    143    TAY
    OO-TAU    142    TAY
    OO-TAW    142    TAY
    OO-TZA    300    TAY
    OO-TZB    300    TAY
    OO-TZC    300    TAY
    SU-EAG    204    CCE = Air Cairo Cargo (gawd, a TU204, my fave)
    TF-FIG    752    ICE = Icelandair Cargo, the rare 757F.
    TF-ELS    313    ICB = Islandsflug
    4X-ICL    742    Cargo AL
    4X-ICM    742    Cargo AL

So off back to Dusseldorf, which is where the wagon came in. Unfold the
sleeping bag, and its bedtime. Well, 3 hours ain't worth a hotel, is it?

The Dusseldorf terrace is helpfully open from 6am to 9pm, so I shot:

    D-AICI    320    CFG = Condor Flug
    D-AHLX    313    HLF = Hapag Lloyd
    D-ALSA    321    LTU (my first LTU A321)
    I-BIMI    319    AZA = Alitalia
    LZ-MIS    154    VIM = Air Via of Bulgaria
    OE-LSD    CRJ    STY = new Austrian operator Styrian Spirit

Then back to Cologne, sweating a bit in the busy traffic to catch my flight
home.

    G-BIKC    757F   DHL - ex British AW
    N253UP    M11    UPS - my first one of those
    UK-76426  IL76   UZB - didn't shoot these as they were too far away
    UK-76359  IL76   UZB
    VP-BBU    737    FOB - Ford Motor Company Europe

15 May
4U372, D-AIPD, A320
Scheduled return flight was 1055/1155, this time we were bussed to the gate,
and although it looked like we'd be late leaving, the aircraft self
manoevured away from the stand at 1103, and took off at 1111.

'PD is leased from Lufthansa, and has just two more rows of seats than the
A319s Germanwings own, making 150 seats vs 142. Better legroom, as the
interior is all Lufthansa, with grey leather 1980s style seats (their
current seats are dark blue, much more contemporary, at least on CRJ 700s.)
There are no fold down video screens on these.

We landed at 1137, after 1hr 26mins in the air, and were at the gate for
1142, well ahead of schedule again.

Jim

Jim