Qantas chief says airline will post profit despite SARS

Qantas chief says airline will post profit despite SARS

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) =97 Qantas Airways will post a profit for the six=
=20
months ending Dec. 31, despite the impact of the SARS virus on=20
international aviation, the company's chief executive said Sunday. Geoff=20
Dixon said the Australian flag carrier has been losing money in recent=20
weeks and the outlook was "difficult," but cost-cutting should deliver a=20
"certain level of profitability" in the six months ending December, the=20
first half of Australia's 2004 fiscal year. "We haven't set what our first=
=20
half profit will be for next year, but I'd only say that we're confident we=
=20
can make a profit and I'll leave it at that," Dixon told Nine Network=20
television's Business Sunday program. Last week, Qantas warned that it=20
expects its annual pretax profit for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2003,=
=20
will be 20% to 30% lower than market expectations following a drop in=20
passenger numbers because of severe acute respiratory syndrome. Qantas=20
booked a 352.5 million Australian dollars ($224.6 million) net profit for=20
the six months ending Dec. 31 =97 the first half of the current fiscal year=
 =97=20
but in recent months the national carrier has been hit by SARS and the war=
=20
in Iraq. The airline gave the updated estimate on Thursday at the request=20
of the Australian Stock Exchange.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/