TR: AIRLINE Geekiness

My wife and I flew UA 1281 from IAD to MCO a week ago. It must have been
uneventful; my wife let me sleep the whole way down there. :-) It was a
757; we had the two seats next to the 2R door, 7DE. The captain opted
against Channel 9; the FA asked him about that when I commented that it had
briefly been ATC before going to the music option. His reply to the FA was
that a passenger listening to Channel 9 on one of his past flights had
instigated a panic after hearing something on Channel 9, and ever since, he
chose not to let passengers listen to the ATC radio traffic. Sigh....

Upon arriving at MCO, my wife and I immediately saw things that stopped us
in our tracks. One of us saw the NW 757-300 in the new color scheme; the
other of us saw a young lady in a cut-off t-shirt that was way too short
and a pair of jeans that rode way too low. I pointed out the 757-300 to my
wife and explained why it was interesting; the girl was gone before my wife
realized I hadn't seen her. You know you're an airline geek when you miss
the half-dressed hussy and see the new airline color scheme. :-)

We flew back on UA 1502 last Friday morning. Check-in for UA at MCO was a
zoo. It turns out I should have been in the Premiere Exec line since our
tickets were booked while I was still Premiere Exec, but since I'm back to
having no special status with United, I didn't feel like pressing my luck.
After an hour in line, we got checked in and hurried off to the security
area, another model of chaotic inefficiency. By the time we got to our
gate, boarding for 1502 was well underway. The flight was lightly enough
loaded that we had 8DF on an A320 with no one between us.

The flight was more than an hour late leaving the gate; some loose piece of
honeycomb jammed some valve, and it took a while for the local mechanic to
identify the problem and extract the flotsam and then for the maintenance
base at SFO to OK the use of the airliner that had such flotsam floating
around. The captain tried gamely to give us updates every ten minutes or
so, but for a long time, where wasn't much he could say because they really
didn't know what they were dealing with or, later, how soon a decision
would be made. On the bright side, once they were done recycling electrical
systems as part of the repair, this captain left Channel 9 on, so as we
negotiated light chop on our way to DC, I got to hear some pleasant radio
chatter.

I heard two call signs I don't remember hearing: KESTREL and AUSTIN.
Kestrel seems to be Airtours International, which matches the accent I
heard well enough. I can't figure out who uses AUSTIN in the southeast US
airspace (or what I really heard that sounded like "Austin"), though. Any
guesses?

Next up: UA 837 early Saturday to SFO, and UA 220 home late Sunday after
Mothers' Day with my mom. The return trip could be awful; I'm in a middle
seat, and it'll be in Economy, not Economy Plus. Given what the in-flight
movie will be (Jennifer Lopez as a poor maid), I'll be praying for Channel
9. :-)

Nick