Reading Between The LUV Lines

Southwest's Annual Report arrived this week, and as usual there are all kinds
of interesting tid-bits about America's best run airline:

- If you bought $10,000 worth of LUV stock when they started in 1972, it
would be worth $10.2 million dollars today!

- Southwest finished the year with $1.8 billion dollars in unrestricted cash!

- 75% of the LUV fleet is owned..not leased!

- Almost a third of the fleet is composed of Boeing 737NG's!

- The 737-200s will be phased out in three years or less!

- Almost 50% of LUV's ticket sales are made on their web site!

- Herb Kelleher owns 8.2 million shares of LUV!

- June Morris (remember Morris Air?) owns more than 3x the stock as LUV COO
Colleen Barrett!

- While the Wright Amendment allows big jets to fly to seven states from
Dallas Love Field, LUV flies to only five!

- And the award for the most convoluted sentence in this year's Annual Report
goes to this gem:  "...If, beyond the planned 4 to 5 per cent increase,
serendipitous opportunities for profitable seat mile expansion should present
themselves, we believe that we are also better prepared to take advantage of
such a positive eventuality than any other major U.S. airline."

Like I've always said...Serendipity always seems to rule at LUV!

RT Simpson
Phoenix