Re: American Airlines shielded executives pensions from bankruptcy

From: "Herman R. Silbiger" <hsilbiger@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 11:21 AM

<snip>

> >  American spokesman Bruce Hicks said the
> > benefits were designed to retain top talent and were similar to deals
> > offered by other major companies. "Retention benefits are designed to
keep
> > key senior management who are constantly being wooed by other companies
> > other airlines and non-airlines," he said.
>
> I wonder what airlines or other companies are just waiting in the wings to
hire
> these executives with such stellar track records in managing AA, UA and
Delta?

When the boom of the 1920's was coming to its end, the first railroad to go
into bankruptcy was the New Haven (N.Y.N.H.&H).  The former New Haven
president was immediately hired by the American Railway Association (now the
Association of American Railroads) as president at the same salary as he had
received at the New Haven.   He was fairly good at teaching the other
railroad execs how to get into bankruptcy too.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/africar/africa.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/pollock/263/egypt/egypt.html