NYTimes.com Article: U.S. May Need to Pay to Install Antimissile Devices on Airliners

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. May Need to Pay to Install Antimissile Devices on Airliners

April 9, 2003
By PHILIP SHENON

WASHINGTON, April 8 - Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge
said today that the threat of missile attacks on passenger
airliners was so serious that the government might have to
consider paying for the installation of antimissile devices
on the fleets of commercial airlines in the United States.

Mr. Ridge said that, for now, the government should pay
for research on technology that could be used to protect
passenger planes from the portable shoulder-fired missiles
that are known to be in the arsenal of Al Qaeda and other
terrorist groups.

His comments, made in a meeting with reporters, were
welcomed on Capitol Hill among lawmakers who have recently
introduced legislation that would require the federal
government to pay for the installation of antimissile
technology on commercial planes, a program that could cost
billions of dollars.

The issue took on urgency after terrorists linked to Al
Qaeda fired two shoulder-fired missiles at an Israeli
passenger plane as it took off from an airport in Kenya
last November; the missiles just missed the plane.

Unlike passenger planes of airlines in the United States,
Israeli airliners are routinely outfitted with antimissile
technology, like decoy flares or electronic jamming
equipment.

"At some point in time, we will have to have a national
public policy decision as to whether or not public dollars
should be expended for that purpose," Mr. Ridge said today.
"But I think the first public dollars we ought to expend is
to take a look at the technology itself to see if
adaptation can be made."

He said that the threat of shoulder-fired missiles was "an
issue that we began working on before we even had a
Department of Homeland Security," adding that "it's an area
of concern, legitimate concern, for commercial aviation
internationally."

Mr. Ridge said that recent intelligence information
suggested that the threat of other types of domestic
attacks by Al Qaeda might have eased slightly and that his
department had plans to begin to eliminate some of the
tightened security procedures that were imposed in the days
before the war with Iraq.

Shortly before the American invasion, Mr. Ridge raised the
national color-coded threat level to orange, suggesting a
"high risk" of terrorist attacks, and ordered security
enhancements at federal buildings and other facilities
under a program known as Operation Liberty Shield.

But senior government officials say they have been
pleasantly surprised by a drop-off in intelligence
suggesting that Al Qaeda was close to any sort of attack on
American soil.

"There's a lot of positive news out there, in spite of the
adversity and the challenge we're confronting in Iraq," Mr.
Ridge said. "I do envision at some point in time we will
probably start cutting back on Liberty Shield and,
ultimately, we'll reduce the national threat level."

He declined to predict when the threat level would be
reduced. "We check periodically," he said. "To date, we
keep it where it is."

At his meeting with reporters, Mr. Ridge said seven large
cities - New York, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, San
Francisco, Seattle and Washington - would be the chief
beneficiaries of a $100 million discretionary fund that had
been provided to the Homeland Security Department for
counterterrorism programs in the current federal budget.

New York would be the largest recipient in the program, the
Urban Area Security Initiative, with $25 million, with
Washington in second place at $18.2 million.

Mr. Ridge said the seven cities had been chosen on the
basis of an analysis by the Federal Bureau of Investigation
and the Central Intelligence Agency of where terrorists
were most likely to strike, and he suggested it should be a
model for how federal counterterrorism money was
distributed.

Mayors of large cities and governors of populous states
have complained about rules that are intended to distribute
federal security aid evenly among the states, without
regard for the density of their populations or the security
threats they face.

Mr. Ridge, the former governor of Pennsylvania, said the
federal rules needed to be rethought.

"We want to make sure that the first focus is on preventing
catastrophic terrorist events," he said. "And obviously,
those would occur if a weapon of mass destruction were used
in a populated, dense urban community."

While the $25 million for New York City is only a tiny
fraction of the federal money the city is seeking for
antiterrorism measures, New York's two senators, both
Democrats, said they were pleased by the distribution
formula announced by Mr. Ridge.

"While many of us disagree with the overall amount of
dollars the administration is allocating to homeland
security, they have been fair to New York when it comes to
dividing the money," said Senator Charles E. Schumer.

New York's other senator, Hillary Rodham Clinton, said that
she was "pleased that New York is recognized as the top
priority" and that "this can set a precedent for future
distributions."

Other Democrats stepped up their criticism of the
administration over proposed legislation that is intended
to expand security measures around the nation's chemical
plants but would emphasize voluntary compliance by an
industry that has repeatedly been identified as a prime
candidate for terrorist attacks.

Senator Jon S. Corzine, a New Jersey Democrat who is
offering a bill that would place far stricter security
controls on the industry, said that "voluntary efforts are
simply not enough" and that "we would not accept this in
the context of nuclear power security, and we shouldn't
accept this to protect Americans from the dangers posed by
unprotected chemical plants."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/09/international/worldspecial/09HOME.html?ex=1050898701&ei=1&en=1a1c0926e1f9a2e0

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company