Re: Business Question

People (the public) have to understand how this really works.

System administration skills are unique and perishable. These skills are
built up over a ten to twenty year period. The experience levels are
irreplaceable at the large installation level. As the technology is
constantly changing, you are forced to constantly train and re-qualify your
skill set -- spend six months on the beach and you'll have a lot of trouble
finding a job. Granted, there are many new automation tools to help, but
that doesn't mean that the user base isn't calling you 24/7 to complain
that they deleted their files and can't you skip your dinner to come in an
restore the files that they carelessly erased. You do get to sleep in your
own bed, but often only after working 24-36 hours straight to rebuild a
machine with a "RAID" drive that really wasn't.

And for all this, you get paid a wopping $75K/year. And work 50-75 hours a
week, 50 weeks a year.

</sarcasm>

Doctors used to be in such a earning class, but the pressures of the health
care costs have eaten away at their salaries. Sure, some make more than
pilots, but most are closer to that $75K mark than the $200K mark. Wonder
what similar pressures on the airline market will do? It pushed Boeing and
Airbus to automate the cockpit and make very low fuel consumption aircraft.
Will further automation lower the mark on the skill set, and thus the
barriers to entry to the profession? Have they already?

As to sports stars, that's so very apples and oranges. Like rock guitarists
and movie stars, they're paid by their drawing power, which is pretty easy
to monitize -- who's been to a Herman and the Hermits concert lately? Or
are we paying pilots to continue the air travel mystique? That didn't work
for the railroads and it won't work for airlines.

--
|    Kenton A. Hoover / Private Citizen / shibumi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |