Boeing talking with airlines to launch new 737-900 jet

Boeing talking with airlines to launch new 737-900 jet

The Associated Press
2/24/03 8:09 PM

SEATTLE (AP) -- Boeing Co. is talking with several airlines in Europe
and Asia, looking for a launch customer so it can bring out a new
version of the 737-900 jet.

The proposed plane, known as the 737-900X, could carry as many as 220
passengers and would target competitor Airbus' A321 jet. Airbus' jet can
carry that many passengers and has been popular with European tour
operators.

"This plane will bring us into direct competition with the Airbus A321,"
Kenneth Hiebert, regional director of product marketing for Boeing
Commercial Airplanes, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "It will give
us head-to-head competition."

Design changes -- including adding two emergency exit doors just behind
the wings -- are key to helping the plane carry more passengers. Safety
regulations limit the current 737-900 jet to no more than 189
passengers.

Boeing has long been talking with airlines about a 737-900 that could
carry more passengers and travel as far as 2,770 nautical miles.

"We are talking to customers who are very interested in the plane,"
Hiebert said. "I can't say if something is imminent or not, but our hope
is sooner rather than later."

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.