Re: Canadian Airlines International

My two cents.

I flew both constantly for many years.

CP clearly had the poorer equipment. While their 737s were workhorses
and (most of them) were in excellent operating condition, they were
uncomfortable for anything longer than an hour or two. When it came to
YYZ-YVR jaunts, I preferred AC. And any of my YUL/YOW->YVR jaunts
(against the wind), I ALWAYS chose AC, as Mike noted, the risk of
getting a non-ER equipped 737-200 was high. I also had a favour for
AC's energizer DC9s.

CP's DC-10s were unfortunate. I used to get a few doing YYZ->YVR. Great
planes from a historical perspective. But AC was flying 763's and A340s
and even 330s right at the end on the same routes.

I never flew CP overseas.

Pacific Western, it's financial predecessor rocked in comparison from
my memory. Some of the same spirit as Westjet.

When CP decided to go head to head with AC on the YYZ-YUL routes, I
quite enjoyed my regular 767-300 service. We used to call it the
"fluffy egg flight" referring to the food being served. Yes, a hot
breakfast on a 50 minute flight, in 1995 no less!

When it came to res systems, AC's was superior... or the user's knew it
better. Me and my travel agents had far too many run-in's with the CP
SABRE system they used for reservations. Their code-share setup with AA
was pathetic, and generated numerous painful incidents at CP ticketing
offices.

CP's lounges were mostly superior over ACs. In YVR at least, they've
kept the CP one at the expense of the AC one.

But the decision point that would sway me in the direction of CP was
all of their staff. They really did care about doing a good job. Given
the lousy hours, lousy equipment, lousy pay and lousy systems, they
shined above it all. On some flights, you'd swear you were on a Wardair
DC-10 flight from Toronto to Barbados in 1978 or a Pacific Western
milkrun flight from Toronto to Thunder Bay, on to Brandon and then
Regina.

As for the Far-East, CP 'owned' the market. About two days after the
anti-trust rules were dropped (which lead to the AC takeover of CP), AC
offered to buy CP's Asian routes. CP declined as they knew they were
their crown jewels. I believe AC had a flight to HKG and Osaka and that
was about it. CP served HKG, Bejing, Taipei?, Shanghai? Seoul? and
several other places with their 744, DC10 and 763 fleet.

Matthew