Air Canada Jazz looking to cut costs by $90 million, president says

MICHAEL TUTTON   Canadian Press
Monday, February 10, 2003

HALIFAX (CP) - The president of Air Canada's regional carrier says the
troubled airline has to slash about $90 million in costs this year -
equivalent to its losses last year.  "Our challenge this year is we're
looking to break even," Joe Randell, president of Air Canada Jazz, said in
an interview Monday from his Halifax office. "There was a $90-million loss
last year. . . We've got a $90-million gap we have to make up for this
year."  The airline doesn't publish its full financial results, but
previous estimates have placed the airline's revenues at about $1.1
billion.  Last week, Air Canada said it was considering selling Jazz, but
analysts and potential buyers dismissed the idea, saying the airline wasn't
making enough money.  But Randell said Monday the hoped-for sale could
still happen.  "There needs to be some changes before a new owner would be
attracted to invest in Jazz," he said.

Those changes include a cost-cutting plan that will be unveiled in the
months ahead.  "We can't continue to sustain the costs," he said. "And
we're going to have conversations with. . . our unions with respect to how
we can lower our costs."
A spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association, which represents 1,200 Air
Canada Jazz pilots, said the union will resist any calls for wage
concessions in meetings set for Feb. 12. "We have a lot of problems with
the numbers being thrown around with respect to the losses," said Vincent
Charron. "Air Canada and Jazz are all the same company. . . We feel it
somewhat unfair to be pointing at Air Canada Jazz as the unhealthy child of
the corporation."  Charron said the parent airline charges its regional
affiliates too much for maintenance and ground services. He said by
inflating these costs, Jazz's paper losses grow and unions face heightened
pressure for concessions.

Randell said other measures could improve Jazz's prospects, including
having the parent company allow his company to fly a bigger fleet of
jets.  "Air Canada does operate regional jets. At Jazz we'd like to be in a
position to operate more regional jet airplanes." Randell also said that
similar carriers in the United States are prospering because their parent
company guarantees the purchase of a percentage of seats on the flights -
an arrangement known as capacity-purchase agreements. Aviation consultant
Ray Kaduck said the measure would make Jazz more attractive to potential
buyers. "It would give you automatic cash flow you could count on," he
said. The Ottawa-based analyst said whatever changes are made at Jazz, the
industry faces deep problems. "What they'd really love is for the industry
turmoil to end and the passengers to come back. But that's not something in
their control."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/