Flying Net access still has glitches

By Michelle Kessler, USA TODAY

30,000 FEET ABOVE SAN FRANCISCO =97 I surfed the Internet from my airline=20
seat, and I loved it. But I needed a lot of help. Last week, I sent e-mail,=
=20
checked eBay auctions, and even wrote this story while flying in a Boeing=20
test plane equipped with Internet access for passengers.   At least eight=20
major airlines are testing in-flight Internet or e-mail systems, which they=
=20
say will be widely available in 2004.When it worked, it was great. It let=20
bored passengers get a lot of work done. Eventually, it could be used to=20
show movies or make cheap in-flight phone calls. But the service was hard=20
to set up and use, and was easily derailed by computer glitches. More=20
problems could arise as it and others are geared up for widespread use.=20
That could deter frequent fliers such as Melbourne, Fla., engineer Richard=
=20
Dutchik, who has been eagerly waiting for in-flight Web access but says he=
=20
won't use it if it's too cumbersome or expensive. Airlines are trying at=20
least three systems. Lufthansa, British Airways, Japan Airlines and=20
Scandinavian Airlines System are testing the Boeing service, called=20
Connexion. It lets passengers with plugged-in or wirelessly enabled laptops=
=20
surf the entire Internet. United Airlines and Continental Airlines are=20
joining with Verizon to offer limited Internet access to laptops plugged in=
=20
to seatback phones. Cathay Pacific Airways and Virgin Atlantic are testing=
=20
onboard e-mail and messaging services from Seattle start-up Tenzing. But=20
each system faces challenges such as:

Slow speeds. The wireless technology Boeing uses has the potential to be as=
=20
zippy as a DSL line or cable modem. But on last week's flight, speeds were=
=20
closer to dial-up Internet service. Since everybody on a plane shares the=20
same connection, that means "somebody kicks on streaming video, and service=
=20
slows to a crawl," says Gartner analyst William Clark.

Verizon updates most of the Web pages it offers every 15 minutes. Tenzing=20
only offers e-mail and messaging, not Web access. Newer technology could=20
fix the problem, but won't be ready for some time.

Technical glitches. Passengers on board the test flight couldn't log on for=
=20
half an hour due to computer problems. Once the system was up, it took a=20
technician about 10 minutes of changing my laptop's settings to get it to=20
recognize the plane's network.  That caused problems once I returned to my=
=20
office. The changes kept my laptop from connecting to the Web the way it=20
usually does. It took hours =97 and the help of a tech-savvy friend =97 to=
 fix=20
it. Similar glitches have also been reported with other systems. The=20
companies say most bugs will be fixed by next year.

High cost. While many frequent fliers would like Web access as a free perk,=
=20
Boeing says they are likely to pay $25 to $35 for a single leg of an=20
international flight. Domestic flights would be less.  Verizon's service=20
costs $6 a flight. But passengers can only access a few Web sites chosen by=
=20
Verizon. Tenzing charges about $1 for each e-mail sent or received. Chris=20
Kozup, an analyst for the research firm Meta Group, says $7 to $12 for one=
=20
day of unlimited usage is what most passengers will be willing to pay.

Disconnected systems. Most public Internet access systems are not linked to=
=20
one another. That means a business traveler moving through an airport might=
=20
have to log on separately to different systems in the terminal, a=20
frequent-flier lounge, a Starbucks and on the plane. Each system requires a=
=20
new set-up and fee. Boeing and other Internet providers say they're working=
=20
on a solution.  Still, travelers such as Patrick O'Toole say they're=20
excited about on-board Internet. Cheap, easy-to-use access "would be=20
terrific!" says the Minneapolis consultant.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/