Northwest planes could be used in Iraq

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) =97 Northwest Airlines planes could be used to transport=20
troops and military equipment if the United States goes to war with Iraq.=20
Northwest, along with other major airlines, takes part in the Civilian=20
Reserve Air Fleet program, which allows the military to use commercial=20
planes to deploy military resources, Northwest CEO Richard Anderson said.=20
Management has met with labor groups, including pilots and flight=20
attendants, to talk about a transport role if the U.S. attacks Saddam=20
Hussein's forces. Company spokesman Bill Mellon said the airline played a=20
transport role in the 1991 Persian Gulf War, when Northwest used six of its=
=20
Boeing 747s to carry military personnel and equipment. Four or five planes=
=20
could be used if the government requests Northwest's help again. "We have=20
not received a CRAF call-up yet," Anderson said Friday in a recorded=20
message to employees. Because of escalating tension between the U.S. and=20
Iraq, Anderson said Northwest made deals to lock in fuel prices for a=20
significant portion of its 2003 supply. In this year's first quarter,=20
Northwest will pay about $27 a barrel for fuel, even though current market=
=20
prices are much higher, he said. "While the Iraq situation will be very=20
difficult for our industry, we are taking the steps necessary to be certain=
=20
that we are as well prepared as we can be," Anderson said. In 2002,=20
Northwest spent $1.44 billion for aircraft fuel and taxes. By hedging, or=20
locking in prices at certain levels, Northwest saved about $59 million in=20
fuel costs last year, Mellon said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/