Re: The most interesting part of the DL announcement...

At 09:26 AM 1/29/2003 -0500, Tyler Munoz forwarded a press release:
>INTRODUCING THE WORLD'S MOST INNOVATIVE LOW-FARE AIRLINE SERVICE
>
>Fleet to Expand to 36 Boeing 757s Providing 144 Daily Flights Primarily
>between Northeast and Key Florida Leisure Destinations
>
>NEW YORK - January 29, 2003 - Song(tm), a new airline service developed
>to change customer expectations for high-quality, low-fare air travel,
>was introduced today at a company event in New York City. Song, which
>will initially service Northeast to Florida routes, will fly its maiden
>voyage from New York City's JFK to West Palm Beach on Tuesday, April 15,
>2003. By October 2003, Song plans to provide 144 daily flights utilizing
>a fleet of 36 Boeing 757 aircraft.
>
>A wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL)

<snip>

>The most advanced in-flight entertainment technology available (October
>2003). Song is partnering with Matsushita Avionics Systems and EchoStar
>Communications Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH) and its DISH Network(tm)
>satellite TV service to provide a complement of on-board amenities, which
>will include:
>
>Personal video monitors at every seat with "touch screen" technology and
>credit card "swipe" capability.
>
>Live, all-digital satellite television programming from DISH Network.

Take that, JetBlue. :-) But why do they need a credit card swiper at each
seat?

>Digitally-streamed MP3 audio programming, which will allow passengers to
>create a personal play list from an extensive library of audio files.
>
>Pay-per-view programming available on demand, which will feature a
>wide-range of current offerings for all ages.

Ah, here we go: pay-per-view. On two or three hour flights. And about these
MP3 offerings: free or charge per song?

>Multi-player interactive games that allow play between passengers.

Could be interesting. "Ladies and gentlemen, we'll be deplaning by the
order of the best scores on today's game."

>Interactive iXplor moving map program with zoom capabilities and points of
>interest information.

Pretty much expected as long as you're putting good seatback entertainment
into your plane. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

<snip>

>33 inches of legroom throughout the entire aircraft. This is the most
>legroom available from any low-fare service's fleet and more than most
>major carriers.

Interesting and gutsy. Might make up for the lost space under the seats due
to the in-seat entertainment. :-)

<snip>

>Song plans to introduce a fleet of 199-seat, all coach Boeing 757 aircraft
>at the average rate of one per week for 36 weeks beginning in April.
>Song's planned 144 daily flights will primary serve cities in the
>Northeast and key Florida leisure destinations. These markets include: New
>York City, Boston, Washington, DC, Hartford, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale,
>Tampa and Orlando.

What's Delta going to use in the main fleet as the 757 replacement? Or is
Song going to launch with 757s from other carriers? I like the 757 in
general; I may well end up flying Song on IAD to MCO within a year or two.
I've been tied to United since a burst of international business travel on
United get me Premiere status in their FF program, but that expires in a
few weeks. Why not take Song for my Disneyworld trips? :-) And, when they
start IAD to OAK service, maybe that, too? (I'm speculating, of course,
about how far they'll go to emulate JetBlue.)

<snip>

Nick