Re: Does the Internet really deliver the lowest airfares?

On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 08:44  PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> Once again the media doesn't have a clue!  I am able to beat or at least
> match 99% of fares found on the internet.

It gets worse.  Web sites often show fares that have since changed or
sold out, but haven't yet been dropped from the web page.  When you try
to book them, somewhere along the line you usually get one of two
messages:

1. The fare for the flights you have selected has changed, the new price
is $2000.

2. The price you have currently selected for these flights is no longer
available.  Please contact one of our travel consultants for assistance.

Only I wish the web sites as clearly explained what was going on.  Often
it comes down to:

3. We are unable to process this reservation online.  Please contact one
of our travel consultants for assistance.

The upshot, a travel agent using Sabre, Apollo, or whatever, gets
current, accurate prices.  Oribtz, Expedia, Travelocity, etc do not.
Usually making the web site look cheaper than the agent.

--
David Mueller / HNL
dmueller7@lycos.com

*** Read the Airline List FAQ at http://airlinefaq.tripod.com ***