From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of
Roger James
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 9:46 PM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Does the Internet really deliver the lowest airfares?

Does the Internet really deliver the lowest airfares?
By Ben Mutzabaugh, USATODAY.com

The answer is a resounding 'yes,' according to this week's Fare Compare.
We= =20 looked at fares on 20 of the nation's busiest routes, comparing
"published"= =20 fares to prices for tickets available on the Web. On
average, the Internet= =20 fares were 33% less than the published fares
=97 though many of them=  required=20 a Saturday night stay. Published
fares are the prices offered to travel=20 agents, corporate travel
managers and consumers by the airlines through=20 computerized
reservations systems. When you call an airline or most travel= =20
agents, they quote a "published airfare." A Web fare is any airfare
offered= =20 through the Internet, whether from an airline's Web site or
through an=20 online travel agency such as Travelocity, Expedia or
Orbitz. We found the=20 Web fares beat the published fares on 17 of the
20 routes we sampled. The=20 lowest fares were identical on two routes,
while the difference was just $1= =20 on another. The Web fares we
looked at averaged $60 less than their=20 published fare counterparts.
In one case, the published fare was nearly=20 four times as much as the
best available Web fare.

to see a chart comparison

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/deals/compare/compare.htm

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/