KLM sees no recovery after Q3 loss

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) =97 Dutch airline KLM reported a third-quarter net loss=
=20
on Thursday and said conditions would remain difficult as a worsening=20
economic situation and fears of war in the Middle East disrupts its recent=
=20
recovery. Posting a 66 million euro ($70.66 million) net loss, a touch=20
slimmer than expected, Europe's fourth biggest airline reiterated it was=20
unlikely to swing to an operating profit for its fiscal year ending in=20
March. Airlines have been hit by economic slowdown and the impact on=20
traffic of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States. KLM said it=
=20
would adjust capacity to cope with slower demand, which it expected to=20
continue in the current quarter. The Dutch carrier was flying some of=20
Europe's fullest planes for most of last year, but earlier this month said=
=20
traffic volumes and fare yields had been hurt by the economic downturn and=
=20
tensions in Iraq, which also pushed oil prices to record highs, raising=
 costs.

"In the third quarter we experienced a declining trend in demand which has=
=20
put pressure on our traffic and yields," KLM Chief Executive Leo van Wijk=20
said in a statement. "As we expect this pressure to continue in the last=20
quarter of our fiscal year, we are adjusting our capacity and network plans=
=20
for the remainder of the fiscal year as well as for the summer of 2003, and=
=20
further increase our focus on cost management," he said. Analysts polled by=
=20
Reuters had expected a net loss, excluding exceptional items, of 72.9=20
million euros, some 19 million less than a year ago, with predictions=20
ranging from 111 million to 36 million euros.
The news knocked KLM shares down moderately and by 1029 GMT were 1.31=20
percent lower at 8.29 euros. The stock has lost a third of its value in the=
=20
last three months, currently valuing the group at about 400 million euros.=
=20
"It's clear that yields are under severe pressure," said Geert-Jan Hoppers,=
=20
analyst at SNS Securities in Amsterdam. "KLM and other airlines have added=
=20
capacity last year but demand has remained sluggish, forcing them to keep=20
prices low. And business passengers are not coming back."  The operating=20
loss in the third quarter was 63 million euros, versus analysts' forecasts=
=20
of 72.9 million, on operating revenues of 1.58 billion euros. While the=20
results were better than a year ago, this was mostly because KLM's usually=
=20
weak third quarter was ravaged in 2001 by the fallout of the attacks in the=
=20
United States.

ALITALIA ALIMONY
KLM was also hit in late 2002 by a 250 million-euro fine stemming from its=
=20
painful divorce from former partner Alitalia of Italy. KLM said it would=20
take a maximum charge of 180 million euros related to the penalty in the=20
fourth quarter. Chief Financial Officer Rob Ruijter told a conference call=
=20
KLM was trying to find means other than cash to settle the fine but was not=
=20
planning a capital increase. The options included a barter of services,=20
conversion of the penalty into a loan or "equity-type instrument," he said.
The issue is a sensitive one for Alitalia because KLM is currently=20
considering whether to join the SkyTeam marketing alliance, which includes=
=20
Alitalia and Air France, or oneworld, whose members include British Airways=
=20
and American Airlines. Ruijter said talks with SkyTeam had recently=20
intensified, but said discussions with oneworld were also ongoing and gave=
=20
no timing for the final alliance decision. The discussions have been=20
complicated by the uncertainty behind the largest-ever U.S. airline=20
marketing alliance between KLM's partner Northwest, Delta and Continental.

FUEL SURPRISE
A positive surprise in KLM's results was fuel costs, which KLM said=20
remained flat year-on-year as the weaker dollar neutralised rocketing oil=20
prices. The airline, which hedges about two-thirds of its anticipated fuel=
=20
consumption, cited rising fuel costs as one of the reasons for its profit=20
warning earlier in the month. On the negative front, KLM said growth in=20
passenger numbers at its closely watched low-cost buzz unit was=20
disappointing, in large part due to strong competitors such as Ryanair,=20
especially in the key German market. KLM has been seeking a partner to=20
share the risky buzz venture and CFO Ruijter said the Dutch group might=20
sell a majority stake in the no-frills unit and did not rule out selling it=
=20
outright.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/