NYTimes.com Article: AMR Reports Smaller Fourth - Quarter Loss

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

AMR Reports Smaller Fourth - Quarter Loss

January 22, 2003
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 9:39 a.m. ET

DALLAS (AP) -- American Airlines' parent company posted a
narrower loss of $529 million in the fourth quarter,
boosting its losses for the full year to more than $3.5
billion.

The world's largest air carrier blamed continued fear over
terrorism and possible war in Iraq as well as costly fuel
and a lackluster economy on the latest shortfall.

But its loss for the quarter was smaller than Wall Street
had expected.

Meanwhile, low-fare carrier Southwest Airlines reported its
profit fell 33 percent in the fourth quarter, but also
exceeded Wall Street expectations and bucked the industry
trend of red ink.

AMR Corp.

American Airlines' parent AMR Corp. said it lost $3.39 per
share for the three months ended Dec. 31 compared with a
net loss of $798 million, or $5.17 per share, a year
earlier.

Revenue rose to $4.19 billion from $3.80 billion a year
earlier.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call expected AMR would
lose $3.73 a share for the quarter.

For 2002, the company lost $3.5 billion, or $22.57 per
share, compared with a 2001 net loss of $1.8 billion, or
$11.43 per share. Revenue fell to $17.3 billion from $19
billion in 2001.

For Fort Worth-based American, which is losing millions of
dollars each day and must borrow to meet payroll, such
financial results are ``unsustainable,'' said Don Carty,
AMR chairman and chief executive.

``While there are many factors that impacted our results
during 2002, including a sluggish economy, high fuel
prices, lingering concerns over terrorism and the
possibility of a war in the Middle East, the core issue for
our company remains a cost structure that is out of step
with the revenue environment facing domestic airlines,''
Carty said in a prepared statement.

``As we've been discussing with our employees, we believe
that a permanent shift has occurred in the airline revenue
environment which will require us to reduce our annual
costs by at least four billion dollars,'' he said.

Airline executives say they have only been able to identify
about half of those savings by cutting flights, mothballing
planes and laying off employees. The carrier has reached
out to unions representing pilots, flight attendants and
other employees, with Carty saying restructuring of labor
agreements is also a key to renewed profitability.

American, Carty has said, does not plan to follow United,
the world's second-biggest airline, which has filed for
Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

AMR has $2.8 billion in cash and liquid assets, according
to Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

Southwest Airlines

The Dallas-based carrier earned $42.4
million, or 5 cents per share, for the quarter ended Dec.
31, down from $63.5 million, or 8 cents per share, for the
same period in 2001.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call expected
fourth-quarter earnings of 3 cents per share.

Revenue was $1.4 billion, a 13 percent increase over $1.24
billion in the year-ago period.

For all of 2002, Southwest earned $241 million or 30 cents
per share, down 53 percent from $511.1 million or 63 cents
per share in 2001.

Revenue for the year dipped slightly to $5.52 billion,
compared with $5.55 billion in 2001.

Airlines have suffered financially since the Sept. 11,
2001, terror attacks on New York and Washington, which
triggered a brief shutdown of the U.S. aviation system.

``In the context of what has been the worst year in
commercial aviation history, we are very proud and grateful
to report another profitable quarter and our 30th
consecutive year of profitability,'' James F. Parker,
Southwest chief executive and vice chairman, said in a
statement.

The only major U.S. carrier to remain profitable every
quarter since the terror attacks, Southwest had warned in
November that its streak of 46 straight profitable quarters
would likely continue, but that it would be tough.

``Based on the weak 2002 revenue environment and current
booking tendencies, we expect this post-September 11
revenue trend to continue through first quarter 2003,''
Parker said Wednesday. ``And, given the added threat of war
with Iraq, it is simply impossible to predict first quarter
2003 unit revenues.''

------

On the Net:

AMR site: http://www.amrcorp.com

Southwest site:
http://www.iflyswa.com/investor--relations/fs--news--releases.html596928n

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Earns-Airlines.html?ex=1044247684&ei=1&en=9792c9a309a18ee2

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company