BWIA warns of more job cuts

By Marisa Camejo
Express

There will be more job cuts at national airline BWIA if there are not more
employee concessions. "We've got to get costs down, or we'll be out of
business," BWIA chief executive Conrad Aleong said yesterday.  He noted
that discussions were still going on with the Aviation, Communica-tion and
Allied Workers Union, the body that represents BWIA workers, in an effort
to get workers to voluntarily make further concessions. Aleong was speaking
with reporters at a press conference at the Hilton Trinidad. The company
has laid off about 40 pilots and eight managers within the past few weeks.
BWIA, which has sustained heavy financial losses since the September 2001
terror attacks in the United States, was aiming for profitability in both
2003 and 2004.  "Shareholders have already waited too long to get their
returns," he noted.  But he reiterated that "profits would not come without
concessions".  "We'll keep talking to the workers and see if they're
willing to do it," he added.

Asked about the formation of one regional airline via consolidation, he
suggested: "That plan was not a practical solution, and would not solve
BWIA's most urgent problems. If we do something like that, we'd have to do
it in stages. And you know things like that, especially in our part of the
world, take time."  The cash-strapped airline received US$2 million in
financial assistance from the government and was given a letter from the
government to borrow an additional US$4 million. "This went immediately" to
creditors, Aleong said. BWIA has said it needs US$13 million to stay
financially viable.  Aleong said that the impending war between Iraq and
the United States was another factor affecting the airline and its
prospects for survival.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/