Few passenger complaints result from new security rules

Few passenger complaints result from new security rules

CHICAGO (AP) =97 Marni and Roger Burlingame, a retired couple from Sun City=
=20
West, Ariz., have waited in a lot of long lines at airports. So when they=20
got to O'Hare International Airport on Sunday =97 the day the country's new=
=20
airport baggage-screening system was put to its first big test =97 they were=
=20
prepared for another one. They didn't get it. "A piece of cake," said Marni=
=20
Burlingame, after a security worker wiped the couple's bags with a small=20
sheet of material designed to pick up traces of explosive chemicals for=20
analysis in a detector device. "It wasn't nearly as bad as we were led to=20
believe it was going to be," said her husband, after standing in line for=20
no more than 10 minutes. Air travelers across the country had similar=20
reactions to what was expected to be the heaviest travel day since Jan. 1,=
=20
when a congressional order went into effect requiring that every checked=20
bag at more than 400 of the nation's commercial airports be screened for=20
explosives. The Transportation Security Administration, in charge of the=20
screening process, said it was braced for a busy day, which helped things=20
to run smoothly.
"We were prepared for it. We have been getting prepared for it for several=
=20
months," TSA director of communications Robert Johnson said. "The work all=
=20
came together."

The TSA hired 23,000 baggage screeners and 33,000 passenger screeners to=20
man the airports, Johnson said. "It's about the same as before," said=20
Richard Blackwell of Gainesville, Ga., who watched as screeners at Atlanta=
=20
Hartsfield  International Airport opened and inspected a sealed box of=20
stereo equipment before a flight to Florida. At the international terminal=
=20
for Northwest Airlines at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New=20
York, passengers waited up to 30 minutes longer than usual while their bags=
=20
were sent through giant screening machines and workers ripped open taped=20
boxes and rifled through their contents before closing them up again. At=20
Reno-Tahoe International Airport in Nevada, the wait was about 35 minutes.=
=20
"It adds a lot of stress," said Jeff Colyar of Glendale, Ariz., who was=20
flying home with his family after a ski vacation. "I have to fly a lot and=
=20
I'm not looking forward to it." Most travelers didn't much mind the=20
intensified screening, developed since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,=20
2001. "Everybody's life has changed since then," said Linda Johnson, 53, of=
=20
La Habra, Ca., who was flying from Chicago to Los Angeles. Before the=20
attacks, only 5% of the roughly 2 million bags checked each day were=20
screened for bombs.

The federal government put additional screeners into airports to implement=
=20
the new order requiring all checked bags to be examined for explosives. "It=
=20
may add a few minutes, but I think it's worth it," said Trina Frandsen, who=
=20
checked a cardboard box and large suitcase at Kennedy for a flight home to=
=20
Salt Lake City. "Maybe they could send me through that and I could get rid=
=20
of that MRI appointment I have," Johnson joked as she watched her luggage=20
roll slowly into the bomb-detection machine at O'Hare. The machine checks=20
the density and chemical makeup of items inside each bag and alerts to=20
anything unusual.
Jack Dunnigan, of Natick, Mass., watched his daughter check in for a flight=
=20
from Boston's Logan Airport to Florida. "The more they (inspectors) do," he=
=20
said, "the better I feel."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)
:
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com