Pa. county having trouble collecting Sept. 11 bills from United

Pa. county having trouble collecting Sept. 11 bills from United

SOMERSET, Pa. (AP) =97 Already facing a budget crunch, officials in Somerset=
=20
County say they are having trouble collecting Sept. 11-related=20
reimbursements from bankrupt United Airlines. The county commissioners said=
=20
repeated requests to the airline for repayment of $64,000 in crash-related=
=20
costs have gone unanswered. "It's fallen on deaf ears," Commissioner Brad=20
Cober told The Tribune-Democrat of Johnstown, Pa. "They don't acknowledge=20
that they owe us anything." The county claims it paid for a wide variety of=
=20
supplies and other expenses in the weeks following the crash of United=20
Flight 93 near Shanksville, including costs related to heavy machinery and=
=20
phone service. United, based in Chicago, has already spent more than=20
$850,000 reclaiming and monitoring the site. Company spokesman Joe Hopkins=
=20
said he did not know if the county's claim had been rejected, and if so,=20
why. The claim may also be under review by the airline's insurer, he said.=
=20
United Airlines made the largest bankruptcy filing in aviation history on=20
Dec. 9, saying it was the only way to keep the world's No. 2 airline flying=
=20
after two years of heavy losses.

With a tight budget for 2003 and a hiring freeze already in effect, county=
=20
officials have now turned to the state for help.
The commissioners said they paid the expenses without hesitation as the=20
country mourned the attack victims, including the 40 passengers and crew=20
who died aboard Flight 93. But in the days following the wreck, county=20
officials said they met quietly with then-Gov. Tom Ridge, who they say told=
=20
them the state would make sure the county received the financial help it=20
needed.
"We talked about these expenses," Cober said. "We didn't know how high they=
=20
were going to get." Ridge has since moved on to head the new Department of=
=20
Homeland Security. County officials are now making a last-ditch plea to the=
=20
current administration, hoping they do not have to begin anew with the=20
administration of Gov.-elect Ed Rendell. "I'm confident that we will be=20
reimbursed," said Commissioner Pamela Tokar-Ickes. County officials said=20
they expect to find out within 10 days whether they will be reimbursed.=20
"I'm thinking that this is just going slowly, and it will be taken care of=
=20
in the long run," Cober said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)
:
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com