AirTran dropping route between Wichita and Chicago

AirTran dropping route between Wichita and Chicago

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) =97 Optimistic economic forecasts helped bring AirTran=20
Airways to Wichita in May, but fiscal reality has prompted the carrier to=20
drop one of its routes. AirTran will discontinue its two daily flights from=
=20
Wichita to Chicago in February, airline officials and Mayor Bob Knight said=
=20
Friday. "Chicago is a risky market because it is outside our network, but=20
it was something we thought was a reasonable risk," said Kevin Healy, vice=
=20
president for planning at AirTran. "It just didn't work."
AirTran was wooed to Wichita by the city's Fair Fares campaign, a program=20
under which area businesses pledged about $3.7 million in travel with the=20
airline. For its part, the city pledged $4.5 million in subsidies against=20
the airline's losses over two years.
Five months after the AirTran began operation in Wichita, businesses have=20
spent about $885,000 of the money they pledged to spend in the first year.=
=20
The airline used its $3 million first-year subsidy from the city in its=20
first four months of operation. Healy declined to comment on how much of=20
the losses could be attributed to the Chicago route.

"For a variety of reasons, it is not economically feasible to continue the=
=20
service (to Chicago)," he said. AirTran will continue its three daily=20
flights from Mid-Continent Airport to Atlanta. Healy said he expects the=20
number of passengers on that route to increase in February when the airline=
=20
adopts more convenient departure times. Flights to Chicago will continue=20
through Feb. 4, but travelers no longer will be able to book a direct=20
flight on AirTran from Wichita to Chicago. City officials said losing the=20
route did not mean the Fair Fares campaign had failed. Knight called the=20
campaign and the city's partnership with AirTran and Frontier JetExpress,=20
which flies to Denver, a success. "This community identified high airfares=
=20
as one of its most significant problems," Knight said. "The low prices are=
=20
here because of AirTran and Frontier. If we lose those two airlines, which=
=20
I don't think we will, we will lose those low fares." Since AirTran started=
=20
in Wichita in May, fares at Mid-Continent have dropped 60 percent to 70=20
percent, Knight said, and there was a 36 percent increase in passengers=20
this November compared to November 2001. Healy said AirTran's venture in=20
Wichita has not done as well as anticipated, but he noted that expectations=
=20
were based on economic forecasts that were too optimistic. "Most of the=20
experts were forecasting improvement in the summer of 2002, and that didn't=
=20
happen," he said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt