Air traffic controllers share privatization concerns with travelers

Air traffic controllers share privatization concerns with travelers

LAS VEGAS (AP) =97 Air traffic controllers worried about privatization of=20
their jobs shared the concerns with security-conscious holiday travelers at=
=20
airports across the country Saturday, despite Federal Aviation=20
Administrator Marion Blakey's assurances they would remain federal=20
employees. "The Bush administration has set the dominoes up for=20
privatization," said McCarran International Airport controller Karl Keller=
=20
in Las Vegas. "We don't want to be knocked down." Keller was among hundreds=
=20
of off-duty controllers who briefed air passengers on their fears during a=
=20
three-day leafleting campaign at 70 airports from Washington, D.C., to San=
=20
Francisco. The publicity blitz was scheduled to end Sunday. The FAA told=20
controllers two weeks ago that their jobs will be classified as=20
"commercial" rather than "inherently governmental." Blakey clarified that=20
position in a letter Thursday, saying the jobs were a "core capability" of=
=20
the FAA and would not be contracted out to private companies.

Members of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association said Saturday=20
their job fears stem from the Bush Administration's public commitment to=20
shrinking government and not the FAA. At Chicago's O'Hare Airport, the=20
nation's busiest, controllers handed passengers candy canes along with=20
leaflets. "We're taking our case directly to the flying public," said=20
controller Robert Gibbons. Union leaders focused on air travelers' safety=20
concerns. Keller, the local union president, said that while the government=
=20
made baggage screeners federal employees, "then they want to turn around=20
and once you get on the plane, we'll outsource your safety to the lowest=20
bidder." Controllers point to President Bush's last two budget plans, in=20
which he proposed studying whether private industry rather than the FAA=20
should handle air traffic control. In June, Bush signed an executive order=
=20
stripping controllers of guaranteed government jobs Over 200 small, private=
=20
airports use private companies to run their air traffic control towers.=20
However, all commercial airports have government controllers. The National=
=20
Air Traffic Controllers Association claims 15,000 members nationwide.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt