Re: UAL could move to void union contracts

The last time I checked the unions were represented on United's board and=
 these contracts would have been approved by the board.  Sure the other p=
ilots got there first but the other unions were just waiting for their tu=
rn at the trough.

I never said that the front line employees should feel all the pain.  Man=
agement needs to feel it's share of the pain as well.  The cuts need to g=
o all the way to the top.  Sometimes you need to take a step backward in =
order to take a step forward.  The unions can't see the forest because th=
e trees are in the way.  No one wins if UA is liquidated.  Why should any=
one at United have job security?  This is 2002, no one has job security a=
nymore. Even in Japan where you traditionally worked for the same company=
 from cradle to grave, job security is a thing of the past.  I have seen =
far too many situations where people who should have been fired on the sp=
ot have had their jobs saved because of the union.  It makes me sick.

WAGST@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/19/2002 6:51:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, mgreenw=
ood@telus.net writes:

> > Management shouldn't have to negotiate in a crisis situation. Labour =
costs
> > are probably UA's biggest expense at the moment.  Bring those in line=
 and
> > everything else will follow suit.  I say fire every last one of them =
and
> > then hire back the ones who are willing to work for what the company =
is
> > willing to pay.  Unions had their place in the 19th
> > century, they are way
> > past their expiry date in the 21st.
> >
> > Mark
>
>      "Management shouldn't have to negotiate in a crisis situation"?? Y=
eah mark,the same management who put this company in the hole it's in now=
=2E..
> Mechanics,the guys who keep those flightcrews, cabin attendants and mil=
lions of passengers safe on multi-million dollar metal tubes, Ramp servic=
e employees who bust their asses in all climates to ensure the frieght, m=
ail,luggage etc. gets loaded on the aircraft.. Customer service employees=
 that are the front line employees   representing the United Airlines ima=
ge at the ticket counters and gates making sure that the CUSTOMER is prop=
erly tended to regardless of weather, overbookings,cancellations etc. Res=
ervations agents that man the phones 24 hrs. a day to sell the United pro=
duct. Flight Attendants that ensure the safety of those on board while pu=
tting up with rude drunken passengers. These are just a few of the Union =
represented employees that had not seen a raise of ANY kind for 7-8 years=
=2E.. While management employees were getting very gracious raises during=
 the same time during something called "Vison 2000". Some of these manage=
ment employees received almost double their salary!
> Let it's the fault of the unions?????
>      Who agreed to let the ALPA members get their massive raises? manag=
ement..
>      Who spent MILLIONS and MILLIONS in an obviously futile attempt to =
buy US Airways? management...
>       Who spent another pile of dough on the idea of buying private jet=
s for business travelers instead of promoting the United Airline product?=
 management...
>      I could probably go on for a few more pages listing the same kind =
of crap that management has done that has put this comapny where it is to=
day..
>      Now the Union employees have to take drastic cuts in pay, benefits=
 and job security to help save this great airline...And I think that they=
 will, which is why I think now is the time that they need the Union the =
most. While I think that most of the Union represented employees will giv=
e up pay and benefits, they also have the right to have an organized labo=
r Union make sure that they don't get put back into poverty, or get treat=
ed like second class citizens while management continues with their mindb=
oggling selfcentered decision making. It's one thing to give back pay and=
 benefits, but what the hell is the reason for giving up job security?
>      I hope that the Unions and Management come together rationaly, and=
 work out a fair and equitable solution to this unbelievably complex issu=
e, and I fully support the IAM and the AFA in their quest for protection =
for the poor front line employees at United...