Re: FAA amd ETOPs

Nick Laflamme wrote:

>Time to remind people of gc.kls2.com. :-)
>ATL-JNB is shown as within 180 minute limits, and the proposal is for 207 minute limits. They'd have to use a slightly longer course at 138 minute limits (2 hours plus 15%; 207 minutes is 3 hours plus 15%), but that's not the proposal.

The only routes that I can think of that could be affected are the ones
between South Africa and Australia.  EWR-HKG goes through a tiny bit of
207-forbidden area, but a slight diversion takes care of that.  As for
the hole in the Eastern Pacific near the Equator, I can't see anything
that would be affected, not even QF's proposed SYD-DFW route.  I also
remember seeing somewhere that an airline applied ETOPS standards to
it's non-ETOPS aircraft, and the corresponding increase in the dispatch
rate made up for the additional costs of the mx.  Can anyone confirm that?
Matthew :)