United, American say they're committed to O'Hare expansion

United, American say they're committed to O'Hare expansion

CHICAGO (AP) =97 United and American airlines said Thursday they have no=20
plans to ask for a significant delay in the expansion of O'Hare=20
International Airport, despite their financial difficulties. American=20
Airlines is bleeding money =97 nearly $3 billion in the first nine months of=
=20
this year =97 and United Airlines is reorganizing under Chapter 11=20
bankruptcy. "We're obviously preoccupied with getting our reorganization=20
plan and getting our costs down," United spokesman Joe Hopkins said=20
Thursday. "But we're committed to O'Hare and the runways project. This is a=
=20
long-term construction project spread over 10 to 12 years. We hope to=20
emerge from bankruptcy in 18 months and shoulder our share of the burden,"=
=20
he said. American Airlines spokeswoman Mary Frances Fagan said the world's=
=20
largest carrier has sought expansion of O'Hare for more than a decade. "We=
=20
remain committed to improvements and modernization at O'Hare and we will be=
=20
working with the city to see that the runways are built as quickly as=20
possible in light of the financial realities facing the industry," she=20
said. Hopkins said United has not told Chicago it needs to change the=20
timetable of the proposed expansion. John Harris, deputy commissioner of=20
the Chicago Aviation Department, said neither United nor American had told=
=20
the city it wanted to back out of or significantly delay O'Hare expansion.=
=20
The city's aggressive timetable for the airport project has an eight-runway=
=20
reconfiguration being completed in about 15 years. The plan, announced last=
=20
December, would nearly double the airport's capacity, from 900,000 yearly=20
flights to 1.6 million. The project would need United and American to back=
=20
airport revenue bonds, issue their own debt and collect passenger ticket=
 taxes.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt