United vows no disruptions

By Marilyn Adams and David Kiley, USA TODAY

United Airlines began flying Monday as a carrier under bankruptcy=20
protection, promising customers smooth operations even as it faces=20
unprecedented internal turmoil. The world's second-biggest airline by=20
revenue became the largest carrier ever to seek Chapter 11 protection from=
=20
creditors. The filing came Monday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in United's=20
hometown of Chicago after a unanimous board vote Sunday. Officials said=20
Chapter 11 became the only option after United's application for a $1.8=20
billion federal loan guarantee was denied last week and the airline's high=
=20
costs and debts threatened to ground it. "This is a story about a company=20
that's struggling to reinvent itself," Glenn Tilton, CEO of United parent=20
UAL, said in an interview. Tilton said his goal was for United to emerge=20
from bankruptcy protection in 18 months, but industry observers said that's=
=20
optimistic. "This is going to be a very long bankruptcy and a very painful=
=20
bankruptcy," said Darryl Jenkins of George Washington University's Aviation=
=20
Institute.

Tilton acknowledged that in the future, the airline won't be the behemoth=20
it is now. "We have to be smaller, nimbler, more responsive. We will have=20
to compete in a more disciplined way with lower costs," he said outside the=
=20
packed courtroom. "We  will trim unprofitable routes and serve destinations=
=20
with fewer people." Court testimony Monday revealed how stark United's=20
situation has become. UAL attorney James Sprayregen said United has $800=20
million in cash on hand for operations but was on track to run out by=20
January. Without fresh capital, United's cash balance would have plunged to=
=20
$300 million by the end of December, he said. UAL's request to tap $800=20
million in special bankruptcy financing in 10 days was approved by Judge=20
Eugene Wedoff, chief of the Bankruptcy Court. A group of lenders including=
=20
J.P. Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Bank One and CIT Group is prepared to provide=
=20
a total of $1.5 billion in financing. The bankruptcy promises to be the=20
most complex in airline industry history. The list of details about UAL's=20
creditors fills 32,000 typed pages, Sprayregen said. Lawyers for United's=20
creditors packed the courtroom in downtown Chicago, and the 60 biggest=20
unsecured creditors, who have the most to lose, are scheduled to meet=20
Friday at a Chicago hotel.

"Make no mistake about it. This will be a difficult process. Sacrifices=20
will have to be made by all constituents," said Sprayregen of law firm=20
Kirkland & Ellis. United announced no management changes Monday, although=20
many industry watchers expect a shake-up. The airline's former president=20
and chief operating officer were forced out in September when Tilton, a=20
former Texaco executive, was hired as chairman and CEO. The airline=20
announced that its officers and management employees would take pay cuts of=
=20
about 11% starting next week. Founded 76 years ago, United is a=20
traditional, high-cost carrier that has historically catered to=20
premium-fare business travelers. It maintains expensive hubs at Chicago,=20
Denver, Washington, San Francisco and Los Angeles and operates routes=20
throughout Europe, Latin America and Asia.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, United has cut its daily flights by 25% and=20
laid off about 20,000 employees. But the cost cuts haven't been enough to=20
compensate for a precipitous falloff in high-fare business travel, United's=
=20
relatively expensive labor contracts and the encroachment of low-fare=20
airlines like Southwest and Frontier into United's markets. Tilton said the=
=20
airline's business plan going forward will include initiatives to compete=20
against discount airlines, but he wasn't specific. "United has to appeal to=
=20
a broader base of customers than we have," he said. If United can=20
streamline and keep pampering business fliers while competing for leisure=20
travelers against cutthroat discount airlines, it could force major changes=
=20
at other airlines. Tilton boasted that the airline's operation Monday was=20
flawless =97 on time with no disruptions =97 despite the filing. No=
 immediate=20
changes to United's flight schedule were announced. United's Mileage Plus=20
frequent-flier program and Red Carpet Clubs weren't affected.
He stopped by Chicago O'Hare airport, United's biggest hub, to hug=20
employees and thank passengers for their loyalty.
Paul Whiteford, chairman of United's pilots union, said employees are=20
prepared to do their best to "knock the crap out of the competition. We=20
need to focus on keeping our customers."

Unique United
Tilton did not address a particularly sensitive subject: the future of=20
UAL's controversial governance structure. United is the only airline with=20
union representatives on its board of directors. Through an employee stock=
=20
plan established eight years ago, employees own 55% of UAL, and United's=20
two most powerful labor unions, the International Association of Machinists=
=20
and the Air Line Pilots Association, have board seats. Industry experts=20
have blamed the unions' influence for many of United's problems, but union=
=20
leaders blame poor management decisions and costly business blunders, like=
=20
United's attempt to acquire US Airways two years ago.

Tilton would say only that the future of the ownership plan and governance=
=20
structure "will evolve through this process."
Whiteford said it's too early to know how the filing will affect the stock=
=20
ownership plan. But he said he has no reason to believe he won't be a board=
=20
member when United emerges from protection. Although Tilton pledged to seek=
=20
labor cost cuts through amicable negotiations, the company can ask the=20
bankruptcy judge to impose concessions. The unions have retained their own=
=20
lawyers. While United was applying for the loan guarantee, union and=20
non-union employees pledged to give up $5.2 billion in pay and benefits=20
over 5 1/2 years. The airline initially sought $9 billion over six years.=20
Tilton said the lower figure "will be a starting point" for negotiations=20
now. "There's clearly a gap." Tilton said UAL would also seek work rule=20
changes, such as reducing the number of pilots on some international=20
flights. Under its contract with its pilots, United exceeds the minimum=20
requirements set by the Federal Aviation Administration. "I'd rather have=20
productivity improvements," Tilton said. "We're going to have conversations=
=20
with our unions that we weren't able to have before."

Tilton said United officials weren't expecting to be denied the federal=20
loan guarantee. He said they had hoped for conditional approval contingent=
=20
on goals being met before money was advanced. Wall Street analysts, who had=
=20
long predicted the Chapter 11 filing, viewed it as the most dramatic sign=20
yet of a sea change in the airline industry. US Airways, a much smaller=20
major airline, slipped into bankruptcy protection in August. Other big=20
airlines, including American and Delta, have announced thousands of new job=
=20
cuts. "This is part of the restructuring process ongoing in the industry=20
and will ultimately result in fewer network carriers and fewer hubs," said=
=20
analyst Brian Harris of Salomon Smith Barney. But for United's 83,000=20
workers, Monday's news was a lot more personal. "I'm going to retire a lot=
=20
less comfortably now, if I make it to retirement," said United mechanic=20
Dennis Sanderson, who works at Washington Dulles airport. As a result of=20
earlier layoffs, Sanderson, who is about two years from retirement, is 16th=
=20
from the bottom in seniority at Dulles. If there's another round of layoffs=
=20
at Dulles, he said, "I'm gone."

Contributing: Barbara DeLollis

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt