SF Gate: Hovering on security/Bay Area fliers feel safer but dread delays, poll shows

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2002/12=
/06/BA220028.DTL
Friday, December 6, 2002 (SF Chronicle)
Hovering on security/Bay Area fliers feel safer but dread delays, poll shows
Alan Gathright, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Two-thirds of those surveyed in a new Bay Area poll think tighter airport
security has reduced the threat of terrorism, and an overwhelming majority
favor tougher measures such as arming pilots.
   The Field Research poll commissioned by the Bay Area Council nonetheless
found local travelers torn about the sacrifices posed by increased
security in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist hijackings.
   For example, 43 percent of those polled said longer security lines had
greatly or somewhat reduced their desire to travel, and 47 percent shared
similar concerns about delays hampering on-time arrival. Yet, 87 percent
say it's worth the extra time to improve safety.
   "The poll shows that the majority of Bay Area residents will put up with
travel delays to know that new airport security measures are going to be
tight,
   precise and secure," said Steven Gottlieb, spokesman for the Bay Area
Council,
   a public policy organization sponsored by local businesses.
   At the same time, 82 percent of those polled agreed that "there are still
many other things that haven't been done to improve airport security."
About 63 percent of residents say that includes allowing pilots to carry
firearms in the cockpit for protection, while 34 percent oppose the idea.
   Federal transportation officials initially opposed arming pilots. But
lobbying by pilots' groups and polls showing public support spurred
Congress to include a provision in the Homeland Security Act allowing
specially trained pilots to carry guns voluntarily.
   As soon as spring, the first of an estimated 30,000 -- out of a total 10=
0,
000 U.S. airline pilots -- could begin carrying guns, according to the
Allied Pilots Association.
   Gottlieb said he thought support for stronger security reflected concern
about foiled terrorist attacks -- like the man convicted of trying to use
a "shoe bomb" to blow up a flight from Paris to the United States -- and
accidental checkpoint breaches that force airport evacuations.
   "The way the security measures are now, although improved, they aren't
where they need to be for travelers to feel more secure," Gottlieb said.
"More work needs to be done."
   The survey of 600 Bay Area adults is accurate to within plus or minus fo=
ur
percentage points, pollsters said. It was taken in late September --
before the federal government completed its Nov. 19 takeover of airport
security nationwide. The new Transportation Security Administration has
added more undercover air marshals on jetliners and strengthened cockpit
doors.
   Passengers may have their patience tested further on Dec. 31 when all
checked luggage must be screened for weapons and luggage.
   "People definitely want improved security, and I think they've seen it in
the past year with the new screeners and bomb-detection systems," said San
Francisco International Airport spokesman Mike McCarron. "But they just
don't want to be inconvenienced. So there's a balance we have to strike."
   At SFO Thursday, most passengers lauded the courtesy and organization of
the new, federally trained passenger screeners.
   "It was fantastic," a San Francisco woman said in describing the new
checkpoint screening. "They (screeners) were very friendly, very efficient
and very thorough."
   "It made me feel safe," another passenger said on her way to visit family
in Missouri.
   But Canadian businessman Scott Fitzsimmons was more tepid in his praise.
"I travel a lot, and I find security very inconsistent from airport to
airport. I've seen better security than this airport; I've seen worse."
   For example, he said, his belt, shoes or watch will trigger metal
detectors at some airports, but not others. Likewise, some screeners
inspect his cellular phone, laptop and Palm Pilot, but others don't.
   Despite the polls' support for arming pilots, a sampling of SFO passenge=
rs
showed opposition.
   "If there are guns on a plane, (terrorists) could possibly get access to
guns," said Auran Piatigorsky of San Francisco, who was headed with his
wife on a Colorado ski vacation. "I don't think that makes anyone safer."
   "Well, they should keep the pilots from drinking first," said another
passenger, referring to a couple of recent incidents where airline pilots
were found to be intoxicated in the cockpit.

   E-mail Alan Gathright at agathright@sfchronicle.com. Bay Area poll=20
   Airport security and air travel
   Bay Area residents were asked to weigh the impact of post-Sept. 11 airpo=
rt=20
security improvements.
   -- Do you agree or disagree with each of the following statements about=
=20
airport security after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks?
   The new airport security measures are effective in reducing the risks of=
=20
future terrorism.
Agree strongly      17%
Agree somewhat      49%
Disagree somewhat   21%
Disagree strongly   11%
No opinion           3%
.
   The new airport security measures should be streamlined and made less ti=
me-
consuming for passengers.
Agree strongly      36%
Agree somewhat      33%
Disagree somewhat   18%
Disagree strongly    9%
No opinion           4%
.
   There are still many other things that haven't been done to improve airp=
ort=20
security.
Agree strongly      45%
Agree somewhat      37%
Disagree somewhat   10%
Disagree strongly    4%
No opinion           5%
.
   Pilots should be allowed to carry firearms to protect themselves in the=
=20
cockpit.
Agree strongly      36%
Agree somewhat      27%
Disagree somewhat   13%
Disagree strongly   21%
No opinion           3%
.
   The extra time needed for security checks of passengers at airports is=
=20
worth it to improve safety.
Agree strongly      52%
Agree somewhat      35%