Re: No guns for our airline pilots ......

Right on Baha.

Box cutters are old news.  The chances of anybody on-board bringing down an
airliner with them are smaller if not zero.  I'm all in favour of air
marshals where the risk level demands it (after all El Al makes good use of
them).  The bad guys shouldn't even have the chance to get near the cockpit.
Pilots are trained flyers, not trained marksmen; and if they miss, the bad
guy gets the next shot (or lunge, or slice).  You can pick air marshals
based on, among other things, marksmanship.  But you always want to pick
pilots on flying skills.

And as you say, the bad guys are looking at other ways now.
Shoulder-launched missiles have always scared me because they can operate
from well beyond the security perimeter of any airfield, making detection
and control very difficult.

Mike Gammon