LIAT gets Nov.15 deadline

Web Posted - Mon Nov 04 2002 (Barbados Advocate)
By David Hinkson

REGIONAL air carrier LIAT has been given until November 15 to raise EC$11
million in order to stay airborne.  In addition, the airline will have to
submit financial proposals on its continued operations.  This was one of
the major decisions coming out of a meeting called by senior LIAT
executives in St. Vincent over the weekend, chaired by Prime Minister of
St. Vincent, Ralph Gonsalves and attended by Prime Minister Patrick Manning
of Trinidad and Tobago, President of Guyana Bharat Jagdeo and Prime
Minister Owen Arthur.  The regional governments have agreed to guarantee
the money to LIAT, with Barbados taking up 22 per cent of the amount. Any
further funding for the airline will be based on the proposals that it
submits to a finance committee.

Minister of Tourism and International Transport Noel Lynch, who also
attended the meeting, said a committee chaired by Trinidad and Tobago and
comprising representatives from Barbados, Guyana, St. Vincent, Antigua and
the CARICOM Secretariat, had also been set up to look at the issues of
predatory pricing and scheduling.  Lynch said the main aim would be to
create a free and fair competitive environment for all airlines operating
within the region. The committee is scheduled to meet in Trinidad on
November 12.  In the past year, LIAT and a relatively new competitor,
Caribbean Star, have been involved in a "price war" which has significantly
reduced the cost of air travel within the region.

The tourism minister said, "if the practice of predatory pricing is pushing
prices down to the point where airlines are no longer viable, we could lose
all of our airlift, and if LIAT fails, let it fail because it was unable to
compete within a free and fair environment, and not because prices had been
artificially propped up."  He added that LIAT has its roots in the region,
and for over 40 years it has contributed significantly to social and
economic development.  "I believe that as governments we have a social
responsibility to keep the airline viable," he observed.

Prime Minister Arthur noted that CARICOM governments were paying special
attention to the LIAT situation since "we in the Caribbean right now cannot
afford to have any more collapse of the important institutions sustaining
regional integration."   Lynch said following on from the Multilateral Air
Services Agreement that came into effect some years ago, Caribbean
governments were now looking at creating a regulatory environment that was
adaptable across the region.
The minister said this had wider implications since it would also speak to
the viability of all airlines operating in the region.  He further noted
that early next year, Barbados should have a new Civil Aviation Act
replacing the current legislation which dated back to the 1950s in its
original form.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(I95.5FM) http://www.i955fm.com
(Radio Station I95.5FM)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt