LIAT still airline of choice

Web Posted - Tue Nov 05 2002 (B'dos Advocate)
By David Hinkson

DESPITE the lower fares for air travel being offered by Caribbean Star,
LIAT is still the preferred choice for Caribbean passengers.  Chief
Executive Officer of the regionally owned carrier, Garry Cullen, said, "Two
out of every three passengers choose LIAT over Caribbean Star, even on the
routes that Caribbean Star serves, because of the brand loyalty that we
have built up over the last 45 years."  Cullen noted that Caribbean Star
began reducing its fares almost as soon as it got permission to ply various
routes in the region two years ago, "because it was not making any inroads
into the market. We held back for a little while, but because we realised
that they had cut the fares so deep we were beginning to lose business, we
went to match them, but then they cut them again and again after that".  He
said that LIAT was not "anti-competition", but "we cannot afford the level
of losses that Caribbean Star can, and they would have lost more money in
one year than we have lost in ten years".

Cullen described the meeting held over the weekend in St. Vincent with
regional heads of government as a "victory for common sense", as it would
"stop the nonsense on the fares since the fares would have to be approved,
and it would also force both carriers to move their schedules further away
from each other". He said he was pleased to see that the governments
accepted that regulation was necessary for market competition to flourish,
and noted that LIAT had tried unsuccessfully on four occasions to meet with
Caribbean Star to discuss these matters.  Chairman of the airline, Wilbur
Harrigan, said that apart from the "predatory pricing", the owner of
Caribbean Star was indulging in other practices with which LIAT could not
compete; for example, in offering soft loans to pilots and engineers, and
sponsoring various events in the region.

Cullen described the EC$11 million guaranteed to the airline over the
weekend as a "short-term accommodation over the next three months in order
to give us time to complete the process of getting external investment into
LIAT, so we have to put together a very detailed business case covering a
three-year period (2003-2005). The good thing is that we are setting out
this plan in the knowledge that it is going to be done within a regulatory
environment, which is good for the development of aviation".  Harrigan
added that over the last 18 months LIAT had also been looking for
individuals to provide it with equity financing, but while the response had
been good, these investors were not willing to put any money into the
airline unless something could be done about the "price wars".

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(I95.5FM) http://www.i955fm.com
(Radio Station I95.5FM)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt