Article: UAL shares up, but clock still ticking

From: http://money.cnn.com/2002/11/04/news/companies/united/index.htm

UAL shares up, but clock still ticking No. 2 airline's labor deal with
pilots only first of many steps to avoid possible bankruptcy filing.

November 4, 2002: 1:13 PM EST

By Chris Isidore, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Shares of United Airlines parent UAL soared Monday as
investors were cheered by a new cost-cutting deal with the airline's pilots,
but analysts still said they think there is a good chance the No. 2 air
carrier will fly into bankruptcy court later this year.

Shares of UAL (UAL: up $0.76 to $3.32, Research, Estimates) were about a
third higher in midday trading Monday.

The airline is seeking $5.8 billion in cost cuts from its unions in an
effort to win $1.8 billion in federal loan guarantees. It has about $875
million in loans and payments on guaranteed debt due in the next four weeks,
and without the guarantees, it has warned, it could file for bankruptcy
court protection before the end of the year.

The company was able to make $40.5 million in scheduled debt payments this
past Friday without using a grace period or seeking an extension from
lenders. The company is talking to banks that hold $300 million due Nov. 17
about a possible extension, said United spokesman Joe Hopkins.

"We are pursuing getting the labor agreements in place and getting the
guarantees as soon as we can. We are also talking about the deadline and
could it be relaxed a little," said Hopkins.

The tentative agreement with the pilots will save the company an estimated
$2.2 billion over the next 5-1/2 years as pilots take about an 18 percent
pay cut, according to Steven Derebey, a United 767 pilot and spokesman for
the Air Line Pilots Association. But this labor agreement was seen as the
easiest one to reach, as ALPA had agreed to a previous 10 percent wage cut
package earlier in the summer when the two other major unions -- the
International Association of Machinists and the Association of Flight
Attendants -- balked at deals.

"Most of the pieces of a [new] agreement were taken right from agreement we
had," said Derebey. "We increased some of the numbers, but the overall
framework of the first agreement was valid."

Talks were held over the weekend with some other union groups but not the
IAM, which is expected to resume talks early this week. The airline
announced an agreement early Monday with the Transport Workers Union, which
represents about 30 weather forecasters. A spokeswoman for the AFA said that
its negotiators were at the table with management until late Sunday night
and would be back at talks Monday.

While neither United nor AFA and IAM officials would comment on a possible
deadline for any other agreements, the pilots' spokesman said the other
deals should come soon.

"We're very confident that everyone is going to reach an agreement, and
confident they'll reach an agreement this week," said Derebey.

But analysts said they want to see an agreement with the other unions,
particularly the IAM, before they'll start to believe the airline might
still avoid bankruptcy, and even then they said there's a chance the Airline
Transportation Stabilization Board, which decides upon loan guarantees,
could reject United's request. Ray Neidl, analyst with Blaylock & Partners,
puts the chance of a bankruptcy filing at about 60 to 70 percent, while Jim
Corridore, airline equity analyst for Standard & Poor's, also puts the
chance at 70 percent.

"The pilots were on board before all the bankruptcy talk. It is probably the
easiest labor pact to get," said Corridore. "I still think the bankruptcy
risk at United is very high until I hear two things -- an agreement with the
machinists and some positive feedback from the government."

Neidl thinks that the airline will be successful negotiating an extension of
the $300 million in bank debt due Nov. 17. But he said he doubts that the
$575 million in bonds secured by aircraft that is due in early December will
be far more difficult to delay.

"Everyone is working very hard now to avoid the bankruptcy. But you could
have everyone on board but one entity, and that can gum up the works," Neidl
said.

United's Hopkins wouldn't comment on the airline's chances of avoiding a
bankruptcy filing except to say that the company is doing everything it can
to avoid such a filing.

"Bankruptcy is not a foregone conclusion," he said.