Bwee News

Aleong: BWIA staff stalling
T'dad Guardian 10.30.02

The pilots union and union representing BWIA's ground staff and flight
attendents are stalling on making concessions for tomorrow's deadline to
avoid the airline being taken over by its creditors, says president and CEO
of BWIA, Conrad Aleong.  "The pilots are telling us that they had two
meetings and they voted; and they are saying that you're going to get a pay
cut but the pilot union leader isn't telling us that," Aleong told the
Guardian at a tourism conference Tuesday in Grand Bahama.  Aleong said
Talpa is probably waiting till Thursday to tell BWIA what they are giving,
if anything: "Probably the pilots will give something," he said. Aleong
however was not too sure if the Aviation and Communication Workers Union
would yield.  "Some of the members the ground staff and flight attendents
have been telling the Union that they ought to agree but the Union has been
saying no, so we have to wait on that one," said Aleong.  On whether
October 31 is going to be a real day of reckoning for the airline that is
owing undisclosed large sums of moneies to its creditors, Aleong told the
Guardian the deadline was given because BWIA "owes a lot of money and you
cannot get bankers and aircraft owners to be patient forever."

He said the management and employees have however to ask themselves the
serious question "whether or not we're going to save the money and give
them the confidence that they will be repaid; or are we going to just
bundle along as the market hits us or we hit it."  The BWIA President said
October 31 was given because "the Board felt that if it did not make a
serious deadline and something happens, like the airline was put into
receivership, then everyone will have a legal liability." He said the Board
also had to warn its creditors and leave an option open for employees to
contribute to the survival of BWIA. "But BWIA will not close down on
October 31, or November whatever," said Aleong.  Aleong does not have a
problem with the position of Prime Minister Patrick Manning that the 49 per
cent shareholder will not contribute to BWIA until and unless workers and
the management first demonstrate their own committment to BWIA's
survival.  "If the government just gives money to a company that it's not
in control of, then it will have to give monies to all kinds of company
when they go bankrupt. So, from a public policy I think it's the right
posture," said Aleong. He says it will be up to the management of the
airline to find creative ways for the government to help when the time is
right.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(I95.5FM) http://www.i955fm.com
(Radio Station I95.5FM)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt