bwee news

Engine trouble grounds flight
By SHARON LYM and JUHEL BROWNE
Guardian 11.02.02

Some 300 BWIA passengers were stranded yesterday because of the failure of
one of its planes. The BWIA L1011 aircraft, BW 900, was leaving Barbados
for London on Thursday night when it had to be re-routed to Trinidad after
it experienced engine trouble minutes after take-off from Barbados. BW 900
safely landed at Piarco, but its passengers were stranded overnight and
were not expected to leave Trinidad for London until 10 o'clock last night.
BWIA chief executive officer Conrad Aleong said the passengers were never
in danger. He said they should arrive in London at midday GMT and would
have been delayed by 28 hours. Aleong said what at first appeared to be a
minor problem with a blade in an engine of the L1011 turned out to be more
complicated. "We are taking the engine off and placing another engine on,"
he said.  But one stranded passenger feared the engine may have been
sabotaged as part of the industrial problems at the airline.  However, BWIA
communications manager Clint William denied the allegations.

UK citizen Julia Nott-Macaire complained the airline did not do a good job
in accommodating the stranded passengers.
"The captain said that one engine was down and we had to go to Trinidad
where an airbus was waiting for us to go on to London. However, when we got
here we were told there was no airbus and that we would be accommodated at
different hotels," Nott-Macaire said. UK passengers contacted the British
High Commission in Port-of-Spain. They said they were told by embassy
officials last evening that BWIA might not be able to accommodate all of
the stranded passengers on its 10 pm flight. Nott-Macaire said about 30
passengers stayed at Crowne Plaza, while the others were being accommodated
at Hilton Trinidad. Aleong said he would visit the stranded passengers at
their hotels.

One woman said there was trouble with the flight from the start, as the
airline sent a smaller aircraft to Barbados and about 35 people were left
behind. She said: "A lot of husbands stayed behind because they wanted
their wives and children to go ahead."  Some passengers complained that
after they were allowed an initial two-minute telephone call on Thursday,
the airline refused to cover any more phone calls. "How are we supposed to
get word to our families?" one woman asked. Others complained the airline
was refusing to compensate them or help them get connecting flights they
missed because of the delay. Some passengers were not taking any chances.
They took a flight to Antigua, hoping to catch a Virgin Airline flight to
the UK.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(I95.5FM) http://www.i955fm.com
(Radio Station I95.5FM)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt