Re: More Gordon stories

Many years ago I was flying YUL-LHR and return in business class;  my wife (girlfriend at the time) was riding in steerage as she bought her own ticket.  On the way to LHR, after asking politely the purser very kindly allowed my wife to sit up front with me.

On the return flight after the same approach I was told tersely "we're too busy right now, go take your seat".  Well I figured that was the end of that.  After takeoff a very self-important exe-cue-teeve type demanded an upgrade from Y to J, practically saying he deserved it due to his stature in life.  He was told (by the same purser), that business class was full (it wasn't).

Then, a strange thing happened.  The purser came to me, asked "what seat is your wife sitting in?".  I told him "23C" (or whatever).  He proceeded to go back to steerage, and make a good show of inviting my wife forward, making sure they walked slowly past Mr. Exe-Cue-Teeve who was fuming standing by the dividing curtain between J and Y.

I'm a firm believer in calm, courteous, human relations.  And that those who take themselves way seriously shouldn't...

Mike Gammon