BWIA set to lose over $80m

Trinidad Guardian, October 16, 2002

BWIA chairman, Lawrence Duprey, is estimating that the airline=92s full year=
=20
loss will climb to $80.7 million as even as his management team, led by=20
chief executive officer Conrad Aleong, fight to see the company through the=
=20
turbulent times.
In a letter to shareholders mailed last week, Duprey said BWIA=92s half year=
=20
results =96 a loss of some $54.34 million =96 reflected the industry=92s=20
condition in general =93where most full service airlines are sustaining=20
losses and suffering liquidity problems and some major carriers such as US=
=20
Airways and United Airlines have filed for bankruptcy protection or are=20
about to do so.=94  He explained that while operating expenses for the first=
=20
half year of 2002 were in fact reduced by $6.87 million, following cost=20
reduction initiatives, the September 11 attacks plummeted operating=20
revenues by $53.96 million.
=93Most of this revenue shortfall occurred in the second quarter and are due=
=20
to much lower average fares in the market.

While the airline continues to implement cost reduction measures, we must=20
now take greater and more urgent steps to match lower revenues.=94  He said=
=20
if the restructuring and reorganisation, now being undertaken by the=20
management team fails, =93it is my duty to inform you that BWIA will have no=
=20
alternative but to place itself in the hands of its creditors=94.
=93The board recognises that BWIA as a publicly traded company must produce=
=20
profits, reinvest and pay shareholders dividends, or become a casualty of=20
the market place,=94 Duprey warned.  Aleong said that he believes the=
 airline=20
can survive the current industry slump.  He said BWIA had been through=20
worst and survived.  =93Come November 1, BWIA will still be flying and with=
=20
the expected contributions of our employees, there should be no reason why=
=20
we would not be doing so for many, many years to come,=94 he said in a=
 letter=20
that was also sent to shareholders last week.  The airline aims to reduce=20
its overheads and underutilisation and duplication of assets in order to=20
save at least $1 million a month.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(ReadyMix) http://www.readymix.co.tt/
(ReadyMix Cement Ltd)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt